Creating Bootable Backup from External?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Neoraven, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Neoraven macrumors member

I'm attempting to upgrade my MacBook's HD From 120GB -> 320GB and am attempting to do this:

1) Back-Up HD to External via "SuperDuper!" software
    2) Install HD
    3) Restore

My only concern is, I have a MyBook by Western Digital with a limited USB 2.0 interface and no Firewire. Will I be able to boot from an External HD with USB 2.0 successfully to an Intel Pre-SR MacBook?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

As I understand it, all Intel macs support USB booting. Only PowerPC was Firewire only.

3. Neoraven thread starter macrumors member

Ah wonderful, I was just worried due to this note in SuperDuper!'s FAQ:

So as I understand it, as an Intel Mac it should work, it just may be painfully slow at speeds of USB 1.x and such?

My concern was that it would slow down so much it would not boot or simply time out or whatnot.

----------

Also what is your take on formatting and partitioning the external drive in two file formats? Ideally I'd like the split to look like this:

Partition 1: 120GB [Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)]
    Partition 2: 380GB [FAT32]

Is it possible to partition and format one disk into two file systems?

4. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I don't think you will notice much (!) of a slowdown when booting. If you wanna use it as a backup to boot from in order to restore a new hd or something, it will take a lot longer, but it's mostly due to copying a large amount of files.
    The Superduper team is most likely writing that 'disclaimer' because they want to be kept in the clear.
    Booting from 2.0 will not take long (most likely the same amount of time as FW400. Restoring will take 1-2 hours or so as this is where USB 2.0 really bums out. I doubt it will slow down to 1.0 speeds as both devices are 2.0 :)

Partitioning your new hd into two partitions is entirely possible, just do it from Disk Utility when you have booted from your external.

5. Neoraven thread starter macrumors member

And each partition can be a separate File System? i.e. FAT32/NTFS/Mac OS X or whatnot? I remember hearing about conflicts because an external drive is still a single disk and needs to be governed on a single file system.

I could be wrong or my memory could be failing me.

btw, thank you for all the support!