Creating bootable / duplicatable hard drive image

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hairsy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Hairsy macrumors newbie

I've just completed several days and nights of sorting out partitioning and installation of Snow Leopard and XP. I have a fairly complex setup and much of what I did had to be done without using standard tools. I REALLY don't want to have to do it again!

Is there a way that I can create a complete image of my hard drive that, in the event of a disaster, I could copy onto my machine's hard drive (potentially a new drive in the event of a failure) to restore my complete setup - Snow Leopard / Windows / Other partitions?

I believe that Carbon Copy Cloner would clone the OSX side of things and I have found Windows equivalents but that would still leave me to sort out the partitioning - and that was what caused me the most problems.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks

Dave

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Winclone is the best tool for imaging Windows partitions on Mac. However it has some compatibility issues with SL Win 7. They can be dealt with of you turn off the default image format (mountable compressed).

http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/

B

3. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Drive Image vs Partition Images

You are looking for a "true" drive image. I would use Norton Ghost 11.5 from a bootable CD. Set the Option to copy MBR and do a Disk to Image copy with High Compression. The target disk (to contain the image) should probably be external and NTFS. This image can only be restored to a drive of equal or lager size.

And the image is not bootable.

4. Hairsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you - yes, it's a true drive image I'm seeking. I will check out Ghost.

Dave

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Norton Ghost is PC only; it does NOT backup the osx stuff.

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

7. Hairsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the additional info.

I'm really looking to try to clone the whole drive rather than backup specific partitions.

Surely my perfect product must be out there!

Dave

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, it's called dd. :p

Code:
    dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/Volumes/Target/image.dmg
    B