Creating bootable images for PPC and Intel

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SamEB, Jun 14, 2013.

1. SamEB macrumors newbie

We have created images for our three OS: Tiger, Snow Leopard, and Lion. I did this last year and now I can't remember how I made it work with Apple Partition Map and GUID.

I created three partitions on an external drive, with the Tiger partition set to Apple Partition Map, and the others as GUID, and restored each one with the new images.

Now the Leopard and Lion partitions work, but the Tiger one does not. It shows up in the boot menu but when chosen to boot from, it ends up in the internal drive anyway.

I checked when I was creating the partitions to make sure each was the correct type, but it seems like I can't choose a different option (Apple Partition Map or GUID) for each partition. I just can't figure out how I did this last year.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Are you sure you tested this on a PPC Mac running Tiger? Or was it an Intel Mac?

A drive can only have either APM or GUID. Those are the ways by which partitions are described.

I would advise sticking Tiger on a flash drive of its own.

3. SamEB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tested on a PPC eMac running Tiger, and it didn't work. I also tested on an Intel iMac, and it worked.

Somehow, the previous year's images worked with this setup, but not now. It looks to me like I am not able to choose a different option for each partition. We are using 500GB external hard drives with FireWire.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I meant, when you thought it worked, are you sure you were booting to a PPC Mac?

But anyway, I just googled "boot to ppc and intel" and there are several methods of getting an Intel drive to boot to an Apple PArtition Map.