Creating Disk Image of MacBook to External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Apr 27, 2008.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    My MacBook has to be shipped into Apple for various weird things.

I have a Time Capsule back-up, but I'd like to clone the disk as well to another external hard disk before I send it in.

My Time Capsule was so hard to set up (read days and days of AppleCare phone support) and it makes such a loud noise when it's writing data that I just don't trust it as my sole back up.

What I used to do was start with a fresh external hard disk and use Super Duper to clone the computer's disk.

Now the thing is, I do have an external hard disk with plenty of room, but it's got movies and stuff saved on it. So, I figured cloning the MacBook to the disk with files already on it is going to cause problems.

Then it occurred to me that I could use Disk Utility to create a disk image of my MacBook's HDD and have that image saved to the external hard disk!

Three questions:
    1) Is this possible?
    2) If for some reason I need to recover from the disk image file, will I be able to?
    3) If yes to 1 and 2, should I do this while booted to a Leopard DVD rather than while running the hard disk I am cloning? I'm assuming I should run from the DVD, but just checking.

Thanks!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't know about superduper, but Carbon Copy Cloner will image your drive.

3. McGiord, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord