Creating Distribution Lists without using contacts

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Snaganaga, May 18, 2016.

1. Snaganaga macrumors newbie

Snaganaga

I have multiple email addresses that I do not want to add to my contacts but I do want to make a distribution list. I tried making a group and dragging the email addresses into that group and it doesn't work.

Can anyone out there please help!?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

AFAIK you cannot do what you want with apple mail.

You didn't give any context, but my guess is you have a group of people in possibly an organization who you want to send messages to periodically. If this is the case, you might give google groups a shot.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

A hack, could be confusing: send an e-mail to your distribution list by entering each e-mail address. Mail should remember that list in the Previous Recipients window/list/DB. Next time, should provide that option when addressing.

Huge downside, if you have multiple "lists" and you have overlap re: who is on which list, could be a pain to distinguish correct list.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You didn't say why you don't want to add those contacts to your own Contacts but I suspect you don't want to see them crowding your Contacts or showing up on all your devices.

I've got a similar situation and what I did was add them to a separate online account (syncing contacts only) which can be enabled/disabled as needed.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Good idea re: separate account. But then again, can easily enable/disable viewing of Groups in Contacts, to lessen the clutter.

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I ran across this workaround some time ago. Create a new message, populate the To: Cc: and Bcc: fields with your addresses, put a single character in the message body and Save As Stationary. Then, when you create a new message, show stationary and pick that one (it will be under Custom Stationaries).

7. Snaganaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Snaganaga

Money! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!