Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pob100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I need to create a seemless DJ mix which can play on one playlist form my ipod.

I am having a party soon, and I want to do use Ipods instead of hiring a DJ.
The venue has one of these douple Ipod docks connected to the PA, so I'd rather use ipods than bring my macbook along. (I'll get drunk and spill beer on it, lose it somehow).

I'd rather create playlists and let them run, rather than man the decks all night mixing between two ipods. The question is, how do I create a playlist which mixes the end of one song into the beginning of another?

Can I do this in iTunes, or do I need some additional DJ software which will mix them in Itunes and record this to a new playlist (or into one long mp3), which I can put onto my ipod?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
An iPod itself does not have any type of crossfade mixing like iTunes. If you want an actual crossfade between your songs then you will have to use some type of audio program as you mentioned. Another option that might work is to go into iTunes and set up your playlist. Then use the iTunes controls to make sure each song starts and stops exactly with the music. Then you should be able to load that song list onto your iPod and there would be no break or pauses between the music. This wouldn't be a crossfade, but it would avoid gaps or pauses between your songs. In truth this all depends on what type of party it is and what type of music as well. If it's supposed to be a dance party with upbeat tracks all night long then you definitely want no gaps at all and a crossfade could be beneficial. If it's more of just a hang out with your friends mix it up party with a good variety of background music then don't sweat it too much. Just pick good songs and narrow those gaps down as much as possible to avoid dead air. Hope this helps. Have fun! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.