creating dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Rasheem, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Rasheem macrumors regular

I need some help creating some dvd's. I have many . avi files each almost 45 minutes long. I would like to be able to burn 4 to each disk and have menus so i can choose which avi i would like to watch. I have toast and visual hub. I tried doing it in FCP and marking chapters then exporting to quiktime but the encode time was like 9 hours each dvd. Please tell me what the best way to burn these is.

2. Mindcrime13 macrumors member

if you have visualhub i suggest you convert the avi files to MPEG 2 then do all the menu and stuff in DVD studio pro, insert he MPEG2 in the video track mark the chapter and burn it:)

3. vandlism macrumors 6502

dragging and dropping the files into a toast video dvd window should be all you need. fcp and quicktime, dvd studio pro...that's overkill by far.

4. Mindcrime13 macrumors member

but you cannot create a good menu on toast, he wants to do a menu

5. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

i dont care if it's a good menu as long as i can select in between the videos.

My Problem with toast is it will not fit 4 on a disk which i would really like since there are so many files. Anyone know anyway to make it fit. It's just barely too much.

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

rasheem, aside from whichever program you're going to use, a dvd-r single side is only 4.7 GB...but really only 4.37 GBs so unless you choose your mpeg2s with low quality settings, you'll only be able to fit 3 per DVD. you could try double sided discs, but the cost is more expensive so in the end, you'll lose out.

cheers,
    keebler

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Fitting four of those videos onto one single-layer DVDR will be a challenge, but should be possible. This will definitely be at the significant loss of quality, though.

I don't know the Toast or Visual Hub applications, but if they accept MPEG 2 files directly, you might try dropping your AVI files into Compressor and using two-pass VBR at a low-bitrate setting.

8. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

nah it aint worth it to convert the files to mpeg thanks though. i guess i'll just put 3 to a dvd thanks for all your help though.