Creating/exporting Titles For Avid

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jimnightshade79, Dec 31, 2009.

1. jimnightshade79 macrumors newbie

jimnightshade79

Hello-

Any assistance is much appreciated. I shot a video in 24P, but put it in a 30i timeline to accomodate multiple frame rates/formats. My target will be upload to the internet, and interlaced to a DVD for playback on TV, etc. My question is:

What are the optimal export settings to create titling in such a project? I've imported jpegs from photoshop to use in the timeline. And I've created titles in Marquee, but I'm experiencing low-quality, pixelated titles.

Happy New Year,

Joseph[

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I haven't seen threads about Avid that often in this forum since I joined (maybe ten in 15 months?), so you will get (and I say will, as I have experienced it numerous times) help at the Avid forum: http://community.avid.com/forums/48.aspx

Although I'm an avid Avid (MC 12, 2.7 to 3.5) user I do all my titling outside of Avid, after the edit is finished, so there is seldom any import/export problem.

PS: Doesn't the title tool do it for you?

3. jimnightshade79 thread starter macrumors newbie

jimnightshade79

Someone else mentioned that the Title tool is more reliable, so I'll have to try that out. Which program(s) outside of Avid do you use to title, if you don't mind my asking?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yeah, I saw the reply.

As I don't title often, only for short features and such, I use either Motion, to give the title more varieties or Combustion (before I used Motion) or once I used Nuke, more as an experiment though.

They give me more freedom for animation and opacity and all that effect shebang and are a lot easier to control, which might also result from my ignorance of all of Avid's and its title tool's powers, which are sometimes not easy to harvest compared to Combustion or Motion.

5. jimnightshade79 thread starter macrumors newbie

jimnightshade79

What process do you go through to import a video project into Motion from Avid? I guess I'm trying to figure out if you compress the file when moving the project to other apps or if there's a better way.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I select the sequence or clip(s) I want to export, then export them via the export dialog, in which I choose the QuickTime Reference option, which creates only a mixed down .aif file and a .mov file which points to the original media files in the OMFI and MXF folders.
    So there is no new compression needed.

Once I'm done with Motion and no further colour correction is needed I use Motion/Combustion to render a final file depending on where it goes (broadcast, DVD, interweb, ...)

7. jimnightshade79 thread starter macrumors newbie

jimnightshade79