Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
So today I got my first taste of actually using the rest of the iApps that I don't usually use: namely, iMovie, iDVD, and iPhoto (to an extent).

It was a pretty good experience... there were some frustrations, like how in iMovie when you rerender a title or crop a scene that is connected to a transition, iMovie forces you to delete the transition and re-add it; it should just automatically rerender the transition, instead. Also, when editing the volume, it was kind of annoying the ceiling limitation of 150% volume adjustment, and also how sometimes you didn't actually get the clip's start audio level on the first try (you created a point directly after the start, instead).

I have a few questions, though:

1) In iMovie, how come the preview of titles and text look great, but then when you actually render them, they look horrible and kind of pixelated and stuff? I also noticed that when I imported some photos with text, they also got the same pixelated artifacts. However, when I exported them to the camera, they became OK again. That's kind of frustrating.

2) In iPhoto, has anyone had experience with a Kodak DC3400 camera? It's on the compatibility list (and it's a USB camera), but when I connected it, iPhoto started up like normal, but either couldn't connect to it or said that there were no photos on it. Additionally, iPhoto recognized it as a DC280 instead of a DC3400.

3) How in the WORLD do you add free-standing text to a menu in iDVD. I wanted to add a few subtitles, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how. Please tell me there's a way, because that would be a serious limitation. (Yes, I know you can just make a folder and use that as the text, but then someone can actually click on that button and it will go to a blank screen -- I'd rather not have that.)

If anyone could answer any of these questions, that'd be great.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Re: Creating Free Text in iDVD 3

Originally posted by simX
3) How in the WORLD do you add free-standing text to a menu in iDVD. I wanted to add a few subtitles, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how. Please tell me there's a way, because that would be a serious limitation. (Yes, I know you can just make a folder and use that as the text, but then someone can actually click on that button and it will go to a blank screen -- I'd rather not have that.)

Open the work bar to the left of the main screen, there's a text tool in there, one of the menus allows custom text positioning. Select the tool, type your text, choose its colour and font, choose Custom positioning and then grab it and move it where you want it to go.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Creating Free Text in iDVD 3

Originally posted by simX

1) In iMovie, how come the preview of titles and text look great, but then when you actually render them, they look horrible and kind of pixelated and stuff? I also noticed that when I imported some photos with text, they also got the same pixelated artifacts. However, when I exported them to the camera, they became OK again. That's kind of frustrating.

DV is a pretty crappy codec when it comes to graphix/text. I run into similar issues when I use FCP 3's built in title tool. But as long as it looks okay when you dump it off to VHS or DVD that's what counts.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.