Creating highlight video off DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BitterB, Apr 22, 2007.

1. BitterB macrumors member

I'm a football ref, not yet converted to Mac (soon), looking for input on Mac apps that will help me take DVD footage from football games (sent to me from schools) and cutting out segments off multiple games and consolidating into a highlight DVD.

The DVDs I receive appear to be your standard issue versions you just drop in your player and play. I've read about a software called "DVDxDV" that can do what I'm suggesting. Any thoughts from experts on this? Other ideas?

I've never done what I've described yet, but I'm evaluating the capability of doing this easily in Mac before I convert over. I'm guessing it's easy to do, much like everything else in Mac. Thanks for the input.

2. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Look for Handbrake and Visual hub. Handbrake to rip the video off of the DVD and then Visual Hub to change it to DV format so you can edit it in iMovie, or Final Cut Pro. At least that is what I do for backing up DVDs. Also I have done highlight films for football teams, although I take it from the Digital 8mm tapes from the games.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

also mac the ripper to get the footage off of the DVDs

4. BitterB thread starter macrumors member

Good recommendations......but, does anyone know much about the reliability or capability of this "DVDxDV" software I've heard about?

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You can just drag and drop the videos from Handbrake into iMovie, no need for an additional step. iMovie will do the necessary conversions itself.

Sorry, I don't have any experience regarding DVDxDV.