Creating icon for dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gw0gvq, Nov 23, 2016.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

I want to create a customised icon on the dock of my MBP for taking me to gmail, does anyone know the best one please?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Wouldn't just replacing the .icns file in resources work?

3. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

I would if I knew where to find it and chan ge it . Sorry for my ignorance ;-)

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I don't have gMail on here. Unless someone with it can help you. You can usually get to it by going to your Applications, right clicking on the App (gMail) and clicking 'Show package contents'. From here there's usually a folder called 'Resources', look for that and within it you should find a .icns file.

Again no idea if that'd work but I don't see why not, barring filesize/pixel restraints that could be on there. If you want to try though just open that .icns in PS or something, make an edit and resave it (Obviously make a backup). Could work right?

5. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

Gmail is a web email. so its not in Applications

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Oh I assumed you'd downloaded the App. In which case I'm out sadly! I have no idea if you can set a weblink to a dock icon, but there's probably some way of doing it (I now understand why you wanted to know about an app ;)). Sorry about that! Hope you get some help soon.