Creating Interplay like system for FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by b01189, Mar 30, 2012.

?

How interested would the FCP community be in an Interplay system for FCP

1. Extremely interested, ready to buy now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Interested

33.3%
  3. Some interest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No interest

66.7%
  1. b01189 macrumors member

I have fallen in love with Avid's Interplay and Unity ISIS system for multiple editors, production assistants, and producers. Basically what I'm asking here is, has anyone else theorized on how to possibly bring a system like this over to Final Cut, or know of a starting platform for the networked drives, a would be media indexer, and a search engine with in FCP for sharing media, and an external program which just enables logging aka Interplay assist. I know apple had some what of a shot with Final Cut Server but that wasn't any where close to the performance that I'm trying to achieve.

Understanding that this system from avid will run upwards of $4-500k :eek: once all said and done. Just wondering if theres anyone else out there who's crazy enough like my self to give this a try.

2. hsilver macrumors regular

Thursday night at Tekserve in NY Evan Schechtmann of @radicalmedia talked about systems for sharing and one system that is basically Final Cut Server in the hands of a RAID developer, ActiveRaid. A lot less money than ISIS. A video of the event will probably be up on YouTube in a few days (not the August 2011 event) As for Interplay, it would not be impossible to create a system using proxy files for producers to use that could be relinked to high quality media at the editor's station. Just not as smooth and integrated a workflow.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I personally would have interest in something like this but I voted 'no interest' because I don't think the FCP community at large has an real interest in something with such scale, price (even if it's 1/10th the price) and complexity.

When Apple bought Proximity (the company that made Art Box which became Apple's Final Cut Server) I was stoked but when FCSvr came out I was disappointed. Not only with the weak interaction w/FCP but also with the generic template form that it came in (it's certainly not a ready-to-go right out of the box type app). On the flip side, if you had the time and knowledge to code what you wanted (or the money to pay someone to do the coding for your) you could totally customize FCSvr to your workflow and use it for everything from client approvals to off-site producers annotating footage to archiving to FCP version tracking and even off-site editing via proxies. And for only $1k for one license or $3k for unlimited seats I thought it would fly off the shelves. But it totally bombed. Apple did so little with it I wondered why they even bought it.

Anyway... getting back to the point of the thread, I think any FCP based system like this is going to have be centered around FCSvr and a fibre-based SAN. FCSvr will get you FCP project versioning and some sort of semblance of multi-editor collaborative editing which FCP has never cared about and Avid cares a lot about.

I don't think you are going to get anything as flexible, elegant, and powerful as what Avid offers because no one else offers that type of ecosystem. You could probably cobble together products from 2 or 3 different venders to get a FCP situation up and running that's close to creating the Avid-like environment but it's going to require more knowledge and effort to use it and maintain it, IMO.

This is a common misconception. Final Cut Server is not, as the name suggests, a server, it's asset management software. ActiveRaid is a possible alternative to Avid's ISIS or Apples Xsan (now defunct of course) but not to FCSvr. FCSvr is more along the lines of Avid's Interplay.

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken, XSan (dumbed down?) is built in Lion Server, isn't it?

Looking at the way FCP X handles media, I'd assume that Apple has something up their sleeves in regards to collaboration.