Creating iPhone games: ESRB approval?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lewisd25, Mar 14, 2008.

1. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in developing a game for the iPhone/Touch, and there has been a ton of info released regarding the SDK, etc. However I have yet to see anyone mention the process to get a game rated by the ESRB. Is it required for release on iTunes?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Most games that are displayed in the Mac OS downloads section of the Apple website don't have any ESRB rating, so I doubt that Apple will require one for the App Store. I'm sure they recognize the fact that only larger development houses have the cash to get an ESRB rating.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

If you go ahead and make this game please keep us posted on iphonesdk.co.uk as we'd love to see the steps and end result!

Good luck!

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am pretty sure the ESRB ratings are only required for retail distribution of games. It is not required for downloaded games.

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

The ESRB thinks ALL games should be rated, regardless of distribution. However, they are just a private entity, so it's up to console manufacturers to "require" getting rated (although I'm sure some retail stores will refuse to carry a game that isn't rated).

There is nothing in the iPhone SDK or license agreement mentioned ESRB requirements.

6. jaydp1 macrumors newbie

I don't think so rating is required

As the game is not commercially distributed, it should not require a rating from ERSB. Better to check with them!