Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meriadoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Hullo,

I have VisualHub, and I can convert DVD VOB files to iPod touch format, but I am deaf and I want the converted file to include the subtitles. How can I do this?

Cheers

Meriadoc

elitexero

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
I'm not familiar with the program at all, but try seeing if there's a way to hard-encode the subtitles into the video. That way you make sure the video itself actually physically has the subtitles watermarked into it. No idea if this is possible, but thought I'd try to give you a start. If not, maybe other software can do it.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Handbrake can certainly do this. Many films have forced subtitles for certain things which were printed on the image for cinematic release so if you just encode the video file from the DVD you can lose these. Handbrake includes the ability to include the subtitles, or any others, directly on the encoded image.

meriadoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Very interesting, many thanks. Will check out Handbrake.

Incidentally, trying to create iPod Touch versions of some of the Region 2 DVDs I have -not going well. The output is an incredibly poor quality movie with smearing and pixellation, despite using the highest quality settings in VisualHub.

Is this something to do with the copy protection on the DVD?

Cheers,
Meriadoc

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Very interesting, many thanks. Will check out Handbrake.

Incidentally, trying to create iPod Touch versions of some of the Region 2 DVDs I have -not going well. The output is an incredibly poor quality movie with smearing and pixellation, despite using the highest quality settings in VisualHub.

Is this something to do with the copy protection on the DVD?

Cheers,
Meriadoc

It's possible. Handbrake should create a beautiful transfer, so give it a shot.

meriadoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Sorry for long delay, just a quick note to say that I'm using handbrake and it works perfectly - beautiful transfer, and subtitles can be included. Many thanks!

Meriadoc

mechler

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
Did you ever resolve the region 2 DVD problems. Are those PAL? I wouldn't think it's an encryption problem as much as a frame rate issue, but I'm not sure.

meriadoc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
I didn't have any problems at all with Handbrake, it performs a perfect transfer every time.

I had severe quality problems with VisualHub when transferring from DVDs, I have no idea whether this was restricted to Region 2 DVDs or not. Non-DVD clips worked fine. Handbrake does not seem to have any of these issues.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.