Creating Mac Server

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jrockford, Apr 1, 2012.

1. jrockford macrumors newbie

I am creating a broadcast network for the local high school team. I am wanting to use a wireless card to stream back to my cable connection. I am creating a web page that will link a media player to my cable connection that will rebroadcast my stream from the game. My upstream is 4170kbps. I am thinking this should be able to handle the load of listeners. I can seem to get into my cable connection. Don't know if its a problem with the iMac setup or do I need to configure a port opening for my cable. I have Comcast connection (UBEE) and I haven't been able to get into the Cable/Router box.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. I've searched outer threads, but I'm just not sure if its my iMac setup or something with port forwarding my connection.

Thanks
    Don

2. Bear macrumors G3

It probably has to do with port forwarding or lack there of. Also, unless you are a business customer, you're probably not supposed to run server type software that's accessible to the internet.

3. jrockford thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should just pay for someone to host my broadcast rather than do it myself?

Thanks
    Don

4. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if you have a service X running on computer with ip 10.0.0.5 with broadcast port 50 you have to configure your router to forward that ip and port out. If your external ip is 192.169.33.33, you will be able to access service X with 192.169.33.33 port 50 from around the net.