Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Hi,

I used 12 Terminal commands to create .ISO that I planned to burn to DVD (yeah, I'm aware of USB but nevertheless wanted to try out this method). I relied on
http://www.technobuzz.net/create-bootable-mavericks-os-x-iso-step-step-guide/. In the process of creating it I got the string hdiutil: resize: unable to read -size parameter in “b”. After it finished I got an .ISO that weighted 8.5 GB contrary to expected ~5GB. I then looked inside it with Pacifist and while loading contents of the .ISO it informed me that BaseSystem.dmg can be loaded becausе no such file exists or smth. After Pacifist finished loading it estimated uncompressed file being as large as 19.2 GB from which 19 GB fell to the share of System Folder. BTW, its icon is not that of HDD but Unarachiver's. Could you, please, tell me, why the size is so huge and is it corrupted? What went wrong?

would be happy to receive some help,

Ilja

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
There is a mistake in one of the commands giving you trouble on that website. If you go to the bottom of the page, someone else commented that they had the same problem.

Most of the commands are the same as mine except the one causing you trouble. If you do it properly for os x 10.9.5 the iso file should be about 6.1GB.

Technobuzz use this:

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk ‘{ print $1 }’`b /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

which should be

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

They look the same, but quote symbols around { print $1 } are wrong in Technobuzz's version. They use ‘{ print $1 }’ which is incorrect. It should be '{ print $1 }'

So here is the correct procedure with the correct commands:

After downloading the Install OS X Mavericks.app file from the Mac App Store (available in the purchases tab if you got it before yosemite was released), run these 12 commands in Terminal to create a Mavericks.iso file and then burn it to a dual layer DVD with Disk Utility. You may then boot up from it by holding the option key down and then install mavericks. This will not install a recovery partition. To do that, uncompress and run the script file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13872235/Musings/Recovery Partition Creator 3.8.zip

hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Mavericks

hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

hdiutil attach /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages

cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

hdiutil convert /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Mavericks

rm /tmp/Mavericks.sparseimage

mv /tmp/Mavericks.cdr ~/Desktop/Mavericks.iso

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.