Creating Network Bridge, Question..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by acfusion29, Dec 27, 2007.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Alright is this possible.

I know if you have two ethernet cards in your computer, then you can create a network bridge so another computer can have the internet instead of buying a wireless card or whatnot.

Now, is it possible to do this in reverse? Can I have a connection through the ethernet port and then send a wireless signal out?

I want to do this from one mac to another...

I'm not quite sure what to search in search, so if someone could provide me the direct link, it'd be appreciated.

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes. Just wire in the Mac as you would. Then turn on AirPort and "Create a network".

Now open the sharing control panel and activate sharing over Airport.

edit:

You may not even have to do that, just turing on sharing "using ethernet" to computers using "Airport" seems to activate a network called "wireless". Just make sure that you click on "airport options" before checking the box for "internet sharing" so you can setup a password.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not sure I understand the question, but you can create an "Ad-hoc" wireless network between two Macs by clicking the airport icon in the menu bar, selecting "Create Network..." and choose a name, channel, and password, and then select that wireless network from the other Mac's airport icon in the menu bar.

Is this what you wanted?

4. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the help!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

5. unity macrumors 6502a

Thats similar, but by creating an ad-hoc you are only creating a connection between two computers. Sharing is the next step.

I dont use it often, but I do use the built-in airport in my iMac to create a network for my iPhone. The iMac is connected via ethernet.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, you're right ...I didn't mention sharing - I almost went back and edited my comment after realizing my mistake, but after I read your post it seemed redundant so I didn't bother.

Other than that, everything I said is correct, right?

7. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes. But I found you dont even have to create an ad-hoc. Just activating sharing will turn on wireless and set it up. So those first steps can be skipped. :)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Once again Apple has managed to stay one step ahead of me! :D

9. simons333box macrumors newbie

need help creating wireless access point

I have xbox 360 and dont want to spend $100 on wireless adapter (frickin microsoft charges for everything:mad::mad:) I have a netgear wireless router and I guess there is a way to make it a wireless access point that will work off my existing wireless network. It looks real easy to do on windows but I cant figure it out on a mac. Any tech support would be awesome. Thanks you can email me direct at simons333box@hotmail.com if needed. :confused: