Creating Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iMaven, Feb 14, 2011.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Is there a way to create a ringtone (on my iPhone, Myxer's website, etc.) and add it to ringtones without syncing?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you had a look at the ringtone apps on the App store?

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Nope. Even those in-app ringtone creation apps still send you the files via email to sync through iTunes. There is no way to do what you want to do without iTunes being involved at some point during the process.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^ this is true. I just created an in-app purchase for my app(not approved yet) and the only way to allow the user to use the ringtone is for them to drag the file into the ringtone section of the iTunes (from app file sharing). Apple restricts the developers access to other files on the device, for obvious reasons.

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I made a bunch of ringtones for my verizon iPhone. They add to my iPhone just fine but only one is listed (the latest one added). Anyone know why only one is available for use?

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Do they appear in iTunes (under Ringtones) but then don't appear on the phone? Is it possible your phone isn't set to sync them all? Because if they're appearing in iTunes then everything about then is oakey-dokey, cause they wouldn't appear in iTunes if they weren't.

7. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I've purchased ringtones on my phone through iTunes and it goes automatically on my phone with no syncing required. If you want to make it yourself though, there's no way around syncing

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's because Apple has access to the ringtones folder. They don't allow devs the same.

9. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

That's why I have to sync with iTunes. It would be cool if Apple found a safe way for that to happen besides buying iTunes ringtones.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You don't have to buy ringtones from iTunes, you just have to sync the ringtones you have (bought from other sources, or made yourself) through iTunes. Given the risks associated with Apple opening up the system folder to developers, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

11. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

If you have garageband you can make a ringtone from ANY song in your iTunes library. What would be great is if garageband on iPad would allow you to do the same thing.