Creating Schematic Diagrams

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stingray123, Jan 30, 2012.

1. stingray123 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Simple question really. I need to create some schematic animated diagrams (link to examples here http://explanimation.net/gallery/). I need to know which animation software i need to use in order to create these quickly as possible (not flash though).

I have had a look at After effects which I have but surely there must be something out there which can do this simple animation without the complexity of after effects.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Motion can do it, but it only a bit less complex.

3. stingray123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that... motion seems like apples answer to Adobe After Effects... it looks like there is going to be no quick learning curve here..?

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Motion is not really an answer to AE (that'd have been Shake), but you get a lot of stuff done easier.
    Motion's learning curve is less steep than AE.
    Check around on the web. There are plenty of tutorials. A good starting point is the Holy Cow. If you want to spend money, the Rippletraining series is terrific. If you want to spend a lot of money, check Lynda.

The problem with such complex apps is that you have to use them on a daily base, otherwise, you forget more than you learn.

5. stingray123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, i think i may be able to do it with AE but its just the correct technique that i am after to get movement through the pipes or wiring.

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Well, you could do it the way they build those original things.

In biology class, they had these plates with small plastic stuff you could see through (e.g. vanes, nerves, water, electricity etc). Behind it was a turning disk with stripes, and behind that a light.

All you would have to do is create the disk in photoshop, create the image in photoshop, cut out the parts. place disk behind the image and rotate it in AE.

Now the only problem is to make sure everything goes the right direction. I guess you could divide it into parts.

oh, I just checked one video, apparently there are more animations. Well, you could keyframe them...