Creating secure Ad-Hoc Wireless network with WPA2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by plucky, Mar 19, 2009.

1. plucky macrumors newbie

Hi to you all,

I couldn't figure out how to create a secure wireless network with WPA or WPA2 between my iMac, two laptops and iPhone...

So here is my setup:
    :apple: iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 20" (Mid 2007) with Leopard 10.5.6 (latest update)

:apple: iPhone 3G :D

HP Compaq 6820s, Intel Core 2 Duo, 1.6GHz, with Vista (I must appologise for this but it's a slimmed down/tweaked vista that works quite ok, I am too lazy to update it)

Old Fujitsu Siemens E7110 notebook with Windoze XP with a USRobotics Turbo G WiFi card

So, now to my problem:
    I want to create an Ad-Hoc network on my iMac to link all my devices. But I can create only a WEP encrypted network, and that's not exaclty secure if people can break it in under 2.5 minutes.

And, if I create an adhoc network on my Vista machine with WPA2/AES, which oddly enough I can make in Vista, none of my devices can connect to it, they see the network, but they just say "incorect passphrase". And I know I typed the password correclty at both ends...

So, I am clueless! I know that if I buy a WiFi AP Router, it will solve my problem, but my room and desk is cluttered as it is now, so If I can make it work with an AdHoc network I will be excellent...

Also, since I am a student living on campus, I am quite concearned about security...

Thanks for reading, and maybe you can put me out of my misery, cuz this problem is just killing me!

Cheers,
    Plucky!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't believe Macs can create ad hoc networks using anything other than WEP. You're right, it's a serious problem, and hopefully they'll add support for other encryption protocols with Snow Leopard. It shouldn't have any problem connecting to a Windows share, though. :confused:

3. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Just a little heads up, although not quite as easily hacked as WEP, WPA/WPA2 is still hackable.

4. plucky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, good point!

BlueRevolution, I would like to add that there is a weird line in the Console Messages/Logs when I try to connect to the WPA2/AES AdHoc network created on Vista:

"SystemUIServer[93] Error joining pluckynet: Invalid password (-25 Invalid Master Key)"

But as I write it here I guess there is nothing to it more than the fact that Leopard doesn't support properly WPA2 in AdHoc mode!

It's a shame :mad: that Apple didn't finish the job to implement security to the latest "standard", It seams to me they did the same thing as with iPhone's Bluetooth (but there are alternatives for that). I don't use Bluetooth anyway...

Thank you guys for your post, I guess I will need to save for a router for more security!