Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
My router (Airport Express) is upstairs and TV downstairs. The TV is having difficulty establishing a strong connection to the router.

1) Is it possible to create a separate 2.4GHz connection on my Airport? I understand that 2.4GHz is better at transmitting through walls, so I'm thinking maybe this would help.
2) Is it even necessary to do so? The Airport Express is simultaneous dual band. So even if my laptop upstairs is connected to a 5GHz band, should the TV be able to connect to the 2.4GHz band?

Thank you for any help.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
What kind of TV do you have? Does it support 5GHz WiFi? I don't have a smart TV, but all my friends' TVs are 2.4GHz WiFi enabled, if that were the case, yours would not have this issue since it would always connect to the 2.4GHz band.

You can also check this article out:
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/4-wi-fi-tips-from-former-apple-wi-fi-engineer

It discusses changing this SSID for the two networks, you can try it out and just connect the TV to the 2.4GHz.

I've had issues with my Airport Extreme and my game consoles all of which support 2.4GHz only, finally having switched off the 5GHz off completely.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
I'm not sure which WiFi band my TV works on. Googled, but the resulting spec mentions don't clarify it beyond "Wifi."

Thanks for the link.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I'm not sure which WiFi band my TV works on. Googled, but the resulting spec mentions don't clarify it beyond "Wifi."

Thanks for the link.

Try changing the channel on the router to see if that helps. Sometimes nearby neighbors, that are using the same channel, can cause a problem.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
You should be able to name your wifi 2.4 and 5.0 separately in your router wifi setup, and switch between them as you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.