Creating space on my HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adm531, Jun 5, 2009.

1. adm531 macrumors member

I currently have 10GB of media in the 'Movies' folder, and most of these videos also exist in iTunes. Is this simply doubling the space taken up. Can the video file exist in iTunes but not be in my 'Movies' folder?

thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iTunes is just the program to play some of your video files, Users/You/Movies is just the place to store it.

If you want to find out where the movies in iTunes reside on your HDD, just right click it, and select Show In Finder.
    [​IMG]

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Depends. Do you have the copy files to the iTunes library preference checked? (It's the default, if you don't know what I mean - in which case you do.) If this is the case, verify that the movie files exist in the Movies folder that is inside the iTunes Music folder, before deleting the versions in your home Movies folder.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This is the option:
    Menu Bar > iTunes > Advanced

[​IMG]

But I think iTunes will use the Movies folder in your Home Directory, instead of putting it into the Music folder.

You can also use Disk Inventory X to scan your HDD and see where all the space is gone to.

[​IMG]

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're on the ball as usual, spinnerlys. :)

That said... in my experience iTunes does NOT behave in the way you describe. It will use the Movies folder only if you've told it not to copy stuff to its internal library folder. Front Row, on the other hand, does use the Movies folder AND iTunes's internal one. Perhaps you're confusing the two?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know...

I never use iTunes with movies or video files, so I don't know the exact behaviour. I just thought, if there is some kind of logic behind iTunes' behaviour, it would store movies, that are also copied into the iTunes library during import, under Users/user/Movies/iTunes instead of Users/user/Music/iTunes. As I have no experience with that (I don't let iTunes copy my things), I was just reaching and thinking iTunes had some logic.
    Oh well.
    :)

7. adm531 thread starter macrumors member

OK guys, thanks for your help. I have deleted stuff that was in 'Movies' and duplicated in 'iTunes Movies' so now all my videos are in 'iTunes Movies'. Is this bad? At least now i have freed up 6GB of space