Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Currently I use Lr to import from cards to file system folders. I have Lr set to create a folder for each calendar day for which there are images.

I want to move to Photo RAW as my main environment early next year. So that will mean I need to manually create the folder “2017” and then subfolders for each day of that year. Does anyone know of a good utility to create sequentially dated subfolders for a calendar year? I had rather not type out 365 subfolder names, and get a few wrong along the way. During the year as I pass dates that do not have images, I will delete the empty subfolders.

I am running MacOS and tried to use Automator; however, it does not have the ability incrementally add folders for the next available dates. Any ideas appreciated!

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You might try Hazel and something like this: http://www.macdrifter.com/2014/02/hazel-tip-for-organizing-photos.html

Or Automator; I think a Folder Action with "New Dated Folder" would create one and could move stuff there. But you seem to want to create hundreds of empty folders?? Seems it would be much easier to just create them on import or maybe by exif timestamp.

For example, this in exiftool:

Code:
exiftool -d %Y-%m-%d "-directory<datetimeoriginal" image.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.