Creating thumbnails

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Soundhound, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I'm new to iWeb, seems like a great straightforward way to work. My question is, how do I create thumnails for the pictures and movies I'm showing?

I'm putting a portfolio of work up on line, showing still pages and movies as well. I'd like to in all cases show a smaller version (which I can make any size I want) of the photograph or text or movie, and have the user be able to click on it, and bring up a larger version of the photo or test, or a moveable window showing the movie.

How do I do that?

thanks!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Apple's Preview application will let you adjust the size of the image, which lets you create thumbnail sizes. There's a number of applications out there that can do this process, some will even do it batch style, meaning you can give it a folder or selection of images and have it do it for you. Use Google to find these applications.

3. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but I'm new to all this, and not quite following. Is there no facility in iWeb to create clickable thumbnails?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Correct, iWeb can't help you. It's for web design, not graphics editing.

5. todd2000 macrumors 68000

You can make Thumbnails with Automator.

1. Select the Images you want to make thumbnails of
    2. Right Click, and choose More/Automator/Create Workflow
    3. Search for Thumbnail in the find box in Automator, and select "Create Thumbnail Images" and Drag it into the workflow under the list of images
    4. Pick the Thumbnail size, 128, 96, or 72.
    5. Click Run!

There are your thumbnails!

6. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much. I realized I 've framed this question wrong. Once I have a thumbnail on a page in iWeb, how do I work it so that when the user clicks on it, it bring sup the large version of the file or movie?