creating UI elements through a method...

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by WillH16, Apr 16, 2010.

1. WillH16 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new to iPhone programming, and what I'm trying to do is basically use a method to build out my UI. In this case, it's dependent on the number of names a user entered into a table view. Sorry if I'm not too clear as I'm not too good with some terminology.

Code:
    -(void)initPlayerWithName:(UILabel *)player but1:(UIButton *)b1 but2:(UIButton *)b2 but3:(UIButton *)b3 ycoord:(int)y andIndex:(int)i scoreSource:(NSMutableArray *)s{
    	AppDelegate *appDelegate = [[UIApplication sharedApplication] delegate];

player = [[UILabel alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, y, 90, 40)];
    	player.text = [[appDelegate playerDataSource] objectAtIndex:i];
    	player.backgroundColor = [UIColor greenColor];

b1 = [UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect];
    	[b1 addTarget:self action:@selector(enterScore:) forControlEvents:UIControlEventTouchUpInside];
    	[b1 setTitle: @"-" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    	b1.frame = CGRectMake(91, y, 50, 40);
    	b1.tag = i * 1 + 10;
    	b2 = [UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect];
    	[b2 addTarget:self action:@selector(enterScore:) forControlEvents:UIControlEventTouchUpInside];
    	[b2 setTitle: @"-" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    	b2.frame = CGRectMake(142, y, 50, 40);
    	b2.tag = i * 2 + 20;
    	b3 = [UIButton buttonWithType:UIButtonTypeRoundedRect];
    	[b3 setTitle: @"-" forState:UIControlStateNormal];
    	[b3 addTarget:self action:@selector(enterScore:) forControlEvents:UIControlEventTouchUpInside];
    	b3.frame = CGRectMake(193, y, 50, 40);
    	b3.tag = i * 3 + 30;
    }
    I've created the ivars for the buttons, labels, and arrays and I'm trying to build them into the UI using that method.

Code:
    [self initPlayerWithName:player1 but1:button1 but2:button2 but3:button3 ycoord: 199 andIndex:0 scoreSource:p1Score];
    However, when the method gets called this way, I don't think the ivars are being properly referenced because when I call, for example, [player1 text], I get a null return. Ditto for [button1 currentTitle] and everything else. I assume it's because it just builds it out without assigning any IBOutlets...or something like that.

So is there a way for me to basically tell the method, "Hey, I already have the UI elements set up, I just need you to build them out for me". Much appreciated!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you don't know how many buttons there are going to be then don't try and create ivars for them: use a loop and store the references in a NSMutableArray.