Creating Virgin Images: how to

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by adam9c1, Apr 29, 2015.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Any good documentation how to create virgin images of the OS ready for deployment?

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

You can do this pretty much two ways with built in OS X tools.

Disk Utility:
    1. Configure a bootable drive/Mac how you would like. ie. Install updates/software you want to deploy with your image, create a default user account (or remove any accounts if that's what you want).
    2. Put the Mac in target disk mode or reboot from the local HD if it's an external HD and fire up Disk Utility.
    3. Create a new image from the drive you've configured.

You can restore a new computer by putting it in target disk mode and using Disk Utility's Restore from your local system.

OS X Server System Image Utility:
    1. Configure a bootable drive/Mac how you would like. ie. Install updates/software you want to deploy with your image, create a default user account (or remove any accounts if that's what you want).
    2. Put the Mac in target disk mode or reboot from the local HD if it's an external HD.
    3. Open System Image Utility from OS X Server's Tools Menu.
    4. Select your configured HD as the source and select Net Restore Image.
    5. Name the Image and provide a description if you'd like.
    6. Save the Image in the default location of NetBootSP0.

The utility will create the image and when you turn on NetInstall in OS X Server any system you boot up holding down "N" during startup will automatically boot into the restore for that image.

I've had good results doing both ways. One annoying thing about the System Image Utility is that it won't see any disks higher than the current OS as available sources. So if your server is running 10.9 you can't create a 10.10 image. I don't know about lower as I haven't tried.