Creating widgets for noobs

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by sebascrub, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sebascrub macrumors member

I have searched high and low for a lyrics widget that does what I want and nothing else, but I have not yet been able to find one. So, I figured I'd do something I've been wanting to do for a while and learn to program and make my own widget. My question is, what language do I use? Do I need any special programs to code in a certain language?

Basically, for now, my end goal is to make a widget that looks like a sheet of notebook paper. The widget should look up lyrics based on iTunes ID3 tags and display them in a kind of handwritten font, as if I were pulling them from liner notes or something. The problem with all the lyric widgets I've tested so far is that they insist in saving the lyrics to the mp3, which annoys me to no end. My widget would just save to a text file for the remainder of the song, at which point it would replace the old lyrics with the new lyrics.

I have very basic C++ knowledge. I took in 2 years ago in high school, but didn't pay too much attention and haven't used it since. So, basically, I'm starting from scratch - with any language. Where could I go to learn how to program on my own? How hard would this even be to do?

FWIW, I have the newest rev MacBook, 2.0 Ghz, 1Gb RAM, etc etc

Thanks so much in advance.

PS. If anyone knows of a widget that already exists that is similar to what I want, feel free to let me know!

2. coot macrumors member

Hi,

You can use Dashcode to write the widget ( available in beta form at developer.apple.com I think ) and the code behind it is written in javascript, along with html/css markup code.

Theres a few sites with more info on, a quick googling brings back a few ( not at the office so I dont have any links to hand )

Cheers,

Pete.