Creation 5 - DLNA & AirPlay streaming

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Creation5, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Creation5 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Creation 5
    Media App

Hey there!

We've recently released a big new update to our iOS app, Creation 5. It's our biggest update yet, with a new UI, new features and a much-needed code cleanup.

[​IMG]

What is Creation 5?

Creation 5 is an all-in-one media solution for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch (3rd Gen) running iOS 7.0+. The goal is to provide all your media needs in one app, without having to download multiple apps or keep switching between them.

The app provides access to all the media stored on your device, or on a NAS (Network Attached Storage) and lets you play them back on any DLNA or AirPlay-enabled playback device (such as a SmartTV, wireless speaker, etc).

What can Creation 5 do?

· Access your music, videos and podcasts stored on your device.
    · Access to over 40,000 internet radio stations, with an intuitive search UI.
    · Access to the Rdio music streaming service.
    · DLNA and AirPlay compatibility to access any file saved on a NAS, and the ability to play them back over your wireless network.
    · YouTube Video search - search for any video on YouTube. The app can find the corresponding video for any song currently playing or in your collection.
    · Download YouTube videos - the videos are stored locally in the App's folder, and cannot be extracted. Watch them with friends or when internet isn't available.
    · Download files from your NAS for when you're out and about.
    · Dropbox access
    · Create music, video or YouTube video playlists, or compile files from separate NAS' in one playlist.

The app supports all music files apart from WMA-L (Windows Media Audio Lossless) and all the popular video files, without conversion.

You can also share music videos with your friends through Facebook, Twitter, E-Mail and SMS, as well as Messenger and WhatsApp. The link will direct them to the App Store to download the app, or play it inside the app if it is installed (in case they feel like downloading it!).

We also have a Playlists section, which is updated on a tri-weekly basis with a Throwback Thursday video, our Sunday Sessions, where we interview stars in the music industry and create a playlist from their favorite chill-out tracks, and daily music videos.

What's next?

We have many new features in the pipelines already. The app is updated almost every week, so new features and bug fixes are rolled out very quickly.
    We have a Shazam-like feature coming soon, photo streaming using DLNA, better YouTube integration as well as an In-App Purchase overhaul.

Extras

Creation is a division of Bang & Olufsen Marbella, the most successful B&O franchise in the world, which designs Home Cinemas using B&O audiovisual products and develops its own support products. We originally developed the app to control the BeoSound and BeoMaster 5 - the software that was shipped with these products were dreadful to use. A lot of B&O stores give away our app when a B&O TV or sound system is sold.

The app is available for download here. If you have any feedback, suggestions or bug reports, we'd absolutely love to hear them!

Thanks!
    Chris H.

2. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I am curious about Rdio's implementation. Does it stream from the Rdio site to the Airplay/DLNA receiver or does it stream to the iPad and then back to the receiver?

3. Creation5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Content is streamed to the iPad, which then streams it on to DLNA / AirPlay receivers on the same Wi-Fi network.

It's worth noting that Rdio and Net Radio currently doesn't work with DLNA - only AirPlay. We're searching for a solution to this.

4. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Okay, thanks for the info. I downloaded it last night and tried it out.

For music, when you are in Rdio, you can't see your own collection's playlists and visa versa. I would love the ability to have a playlist that includes my music (ie The Beatles) and their music. Otherwise, it is just as easy to just pull up Rdio's app which has more features (I didn't see my stations listed).

I haven't had time to look at the video stuff.

5. Creation5, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

Creation5 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good point. We're using a basic API for Rdio, Net Radio and YouTube at the moment. The next update will see a better YouTube functionality - instead of simply searching for videos and saving them to your local favorites, you'll be able to access your YouTube channel / account.

I'll add Rdio to the list :) Thanks!

Edit: Just took a look at the Rdio section - at the top of the 'Music' menu or in the 'Playlists' menu, you should be able to log in to Rdio. Your own playlists should appear in the 'Playlists' menu.

6. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Rdio has a section called "stations" that has a station they have customized around your music selections. It is not the same as playlists. I didn't see it in the app's interface. It is possible I missed it since I only had about 10 minutes to spend with the app last night. ( I am hoping to spend more time with it over the weekend)

How do you log out of Rdio in the app?

7. Creation5 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, we don't have Rdio stations in the app yet. We have plans to add them, as well as Rdio's familiar-adventurous menu.

You can log out of Rdio at the bottom of the 'Music' menu. We'll make that button easier to find as well. Thanks!

8. Creation5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update 4.1.1 - Optimized for iOS8 and iPhone 6 / 6 Plus!

[​IMG]

Our latest update is now rolling out on the App Stores, and should be available everywhere soon.

We've optimized Creation 5 for iOS 8, stomping a lot of bugs that caused problems with DLNA / AirPlay and crashed the app. We've also updated the assets to they fit the new Retina HD displays found on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Other features include:

· Photo viewing
    Access your photos under the new menu option. Sort them into albums, select favorites, view them on the Big Screen with DLNA / AirPlay and share them with friends through SMS, E-Mail, Facebook and Twitter.

· More sharing options
    We've added sharing via WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, and WeChat Moments. Easily share your favorite music, videos or radio stations!

· 50+ handpicked playlists
    We've added over 50 ready-made playlists under the Playlists menu option. You'll find playlists ranging from Top Workout to Road Trip tracks. We'll add more every week!

9. Creation5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update is now rolling out!

Sorry for the wait - our update has finally been approved and is being rolled out now!

We've received reports of certain features containing bugs in iOS 8.0.2 and are working on a fix:

· Photos.
    After granting the app access to your photos, it must be closed (double-tap the home button and swipe the app up) and re-opened.

· DLNA
    Some users have reported problems streaming music from a Western Digital NAS drive. We haven't experienced any issues on our test device, but are looking into it nonetheless.