Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
There's a Picture of the day thread for photographers, but I don't see anything for other people.

I thought it would be a good idea to have people post some of the creative things they're working on. The rules are similar to the picture thread. Max one per day so that many can play without us getting overwhelmed.

Creations can be include a drawing, an illustration, a cartoon, a photoshop, a painting, digital art, 3D modelling or anything else you consider visual creative work. You don't have to be a great artist or consider yourself exceptionally talented. The idea is to post something you've been working on to maybe get some tips and to give and get inspiration from each other.

Along with your creation, explain what tools and techniques you've used to make it. You can also say something about the motivation you had for making it. Were you trying out a new technique? Did you make it for a specific purpose? Were you just practicing? Was it a form of personal expression? Did you struggle with anything?

If you want feedback, remember to give feedback. Comments like "that's fugly" and "don't quit your dayjob" are not welcome. Be constructive.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I'll play.

Here's my unfinished head. In 3D :)

Oh, forgot to explain:
- It was my homework assignment for 3D.
- Its my first attempt ever at creating any sort of human figure in 3D
- I'm a student, and have only been using Maya for a couple of months.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 93

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I like that, too. So how does it work? Do you have to more or less manipulate each vertex individually?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Or maybe they work in the professional field and posting their work-in-progress on a message board isn't the smartest thing to do. ;)
I thought there would be some people who create things just for fun or for practice, too.

I finally got around to do something myself. I'm did some free-hand drawing while looking at a magazine, and then I took a picture of it. It's very basic and the perspectives got skewed (the left eye is too high for one thing). I did it just to practice drawing in general. My ultimate goal is to get better at creating graphics and user interfaces for software, and my philosophy is that in order to do that I need to practice using many different techniques to get a better sense for graphics in general and an eye for detail. I'm also suspect I'll have to draw manga with my niece when I go home for Christmas, so I'm getting prepared for that.

Attachments

• drawing.jpg
    drawing.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 582

likeavaliant

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
This is something I made in a couple minutes yesterday after my design class and noticing that people really didnt care about anything the speakers were talking about. It was done in photoshop because I havent learned the ins and outs of illustrator yet. The color quality is lost on the internet.

This is by no means considered graphic design. Just digital art.
1524139737_l.jpg

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Stuttter, I really like that. Can you say something more about the photoshop tools and techniques you're using? The edges on the card are so smooth... They look almost like they were done in Illustrator. Do you use a tablet? How did you do the frills on the scarf? If I try to draw free-hand using the brush tools and a mouse or tablet, the best I can do is something like this:

Attachments

• Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 503

Stuttter

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2006
Ireland
Stuttter,How did you do the frills on the scarf?
I don't use a tablet, just the mouse but the reason the lines and edges look like they were done in illustrator is because I use the vector tool in pshop and either stroke (bits on end of scarf) or fill.
did try the tablet but have been working this way for 5 years or more and find the mouse faster

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I don't think the vector tool is available in Photoshop Elements... dang!

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Not as fancy as the Christmas card, but I draw my own cellphone backgrounds.

This was drawn in animation paper, scanned, and colored in Photoshop.

Attachments

• Wizard Scene2.jpg
    Wizard Scene2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 432

gekko513

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I like that. I like the general look and I like how it gives lots of associations and how you can study it for some time and still discover new small intricate details.

Stuttter

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2006
Ireland
My thoughts exactly. Nicely done. But alot more work in PS than Illustrator.
It took about 4 hours in pshop. I use both illustrator and pshop ( for about 8/9 years )
I find the pen tools are superior in photoshop, even when finishing work in illustrator I'd create the vectors in pshop first and then copy and paste into AI.

more pshop
yourlife-q1.jpg

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Nice work Stuttter! I also find that the pen tools in Photoshop are superior to those in Illustrator. On fineline work I'd use Photoshop over Illustrator any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.