Creative ideas for a iMac G3

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by XxThatSamGuyxX, May 8, 2009.

1. XxThatSamGuyxX macrumors newbie

Since i rescued an old iMac G3 from a waste disposal site, It's been sitting in the corner of my room, looking beautiful but doing very little.

Suggestions on something cool I can do to keep it in use?

Perfect working order but no internet.
    :)

2. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Depending on the model, you could install an AirPort card so that it can have internet on it.

I undertstand that it's in perfect working order, but...why not turn it into a MacQuarium? :D

[​IMG]

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I'd love to turn mine into a dreamcast like this guy, I just don't think i'd have the skill to make it look half as good!

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Turn it into a permanent memorial to Apple. Get it to play a loop of older apple ads / stevenotes! Not really useful, but plain cool. Or, on the useful front, turn it into a file server.

5. spue2001 macrumors member

ha ha , a monument to steve . i love it :D

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Heres another idea..an icat!

Attached Files:

• icat.jpg
      icat.jpg
      File size:
      53.9 KB
      Views:
  7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Good idea but will the G3 play it. My G3 PowerMac would not run newer quicktime files. I guess you could convert them to lower quality and then have it play them.

Install a intel Mac Mini in it and sell the parts

don't make it a litter box but a cat bed would be a good idea

8. gonyr macrumors 6502

I always meant to turn one into a jukebox. Something like this:

http://www.thepinballcompany.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1003

but obviously at a much lower budget. I figured with some leftover lumber and a few weekends of spare time, I could do it for under $200, including the computer, but I never got around to tackling the project. Does anyone think this actually sells at that price?

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

dmmcintyre3, So long as they aren't high resolution, they should play fine. Even if you have to run it under Mac OS X 10.2 / 10.3. The G3 should be fine, as I could play QuickTime movies okay on a G4/450 at 1440*900, so why shouldn't a relatively fast G3 (350+) play them at 800*600? I mean you could run iMovie on them (know for a fact iMovie 2-4 worked great on G3s)

10. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I did put some videos on my PowerMac G3 and some would not play at all. It would give me an error.

I do think it was the version of quicktime for 1.2.8 was outdated though. It would play YouTube.

11. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

dmmcintyre3 - Probably, as I could get some movies to playback on a PowerMac 9600 under System 7, but these were really outdated, it wouldn't play new movies at all. If I get one of these, Apple memorial it shall become.

12. ozyr macrumors member

ozyr

Old G3 iMac...

Load System 9 onto it.

Play Marathon on it! (That is what I use my original iMac G3 for). Plays the original Quake rather well too. Plus a bunch of other older games. :cool:

Even better, it is great on a LAN with games that will support it.

As for the mention of running Mac ads, there are plenty of older ones out there, that will run on an older Mac.

13. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I wonder if you could run Final Cut Pro 2 on it under Mac OS 9? Now that would be fun. Slow, but fun and cool to see (Imagine turning up at NAB and going "I edited a feature film on an iMac G3" and seeing the stares...)

14. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

You can run just about any if you reduce the quality a bit of corse on a newer Mac like your MacBook.

15. XxThatSamGuyxX thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for all your ideas - I'd love to do something like the dreamcast one with it, but that'd take a bit more time and money than I have atm.

I took some brilliant old apple ads, linked them on iMovie and converted it into Apple Video.. some old codec.. in a .mov container and it played fine on Quicktime 4 on OS 8.6....
    Got those looping atm looks pretty cool :D

Anyone know of any decent abandonware games I could pick up for it? Some old classics?

16. nickwc macrumors newbie

Hi! I was lucky enough to find imac g3 today in my complex's garbage area. It had the keyboard and mouse but no power cord!! So I just brought it home and used a cord from a old monitor, viola! Now my question is this... Can I use a wireless dongle to connect to the internet? Because due to the g3 guide I cannot use a airport card.

Here are the specs:

iMac G3 (333 MHz)

The iMac G3 333 MHz was introduced on April 14, 1999. The only change to this iMac model is the processor speed.

Specifications
    PowerPC G3 Processor 333 MHz (66 MHz bus)
    Tray loading 24x CD-ROM
    6 GB IDE Hard Disk Drive
    32 MB of RAM (expandable to 384 MB)
    6 MB of VRAM
    Not compatible with AirPort cards
    Ports: Ethernet, USB 1.1, 56k Modem, Stereo Audio In and Out

Software
    The iMac 333 MHz shipped with Mac OS 8.5 along with AppleWorks.
    The highest version of the Mac OS that is officially supported on the iMac is Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther".

Notes
    This iMac is also known as Revision D, but it is referred to officially by Apple as the "iMac 333 MHz"

I want to install panther as well, but only if I can have it retrieve wifi some how. It is running os 8.6, so I will have to get os 9 first.

Thanks!

17. three macrumors 6502a

three

I installed the FLIQIQ clock on my iMac G3, and it's a good clock.

18. Waffle Stomping macrumors newbie

I wanna know where you guys are finding all these iMac dumpsters.

19. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You can get a USB WiFi adapter for about $25 on ebay. How much RAM does yours have in it? If you're going to run OSX, the I would recommend a minimum of 320Mb of RAM to make it useful.

20. coupdetat macrumors 6502

You can play Fallout and Fallout 2 on it, no problem. Diablo II would probably work fine, too.

Plus, Clarisworks and Office 2001 are still really useful and feel much snappier than a new Mac with Office 2008.

21. morepower7 macrumors member