Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidooairman

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2006
Vostok, Antarctica
Fantastic

Talk about Creatives "Sour-Grapes". I hope Apple takes them to the brink of bankruptcy. Creative has a reputation for medium quality electronics and crappy MP3 players whereas Apple has a reputation for "ipod". Screw Creative to the ground, Apple.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
next time people get all excited that Apple's new patents are future products, just look at this and understand that Apple's just trying to cover its butt whereever it *might* go.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
The four patents are probably those Creative is claiming Apple copied from them. Now that would be ironic wouldn't it :D

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Next time Creative will consider the reprecusions (sp?) when trying to take down a giant. I mean, I bet Apple never would have sued them for this if Creative hadn't decided to go there in the first place. They wanna be jerks, then so can Apple!

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
skidooairman said:
Talk about Creatives "Sour-Grapes". I hope Apple takes them to the brink of bankruptcy. Creative has a reputation for medium quality electronics and crappy MP3 players whereas Apple has a reputation for "ipod". Screw Creative to the ground, Apple.

Zen is an overall crappier package but sounds noticably better than an ipod.. There's also soundblaster. Either way I think suing for navigation systems is crap.. what about what the consumers want?

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Kudos to Creative for this move. They have fought long in hard in the digital music player wars and they have put in a ton of effort. I am glad to see them want to go out this way. Might as well go down trying in one last glorious attempt...

ship.jpg

I know this pic isn't very accurate, I just couldn't find one with all the rats jumping off.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Macrumors said:

Apple is counter-suing Creative, claiming they are in violation in four of its patents. The lawsuit was filed on May 15th, the same day that Creative filed its lawsuit.

Creative is trying to bar Apple from selling iPods in the U.S. through a cease-and-desist order. Even though Creative's suit's implications are broad, Apple's suit (if successful) could have more impact on Creative because Creative is a smaller company.

LOL!

Honestly, I don't hate Creative Labs. I even liked one of the original Nomads over the iPod at the time. But you know what? If they're going to be this poopish about their third-rate media players, it makes me think...A world without Creative would not be a world without creativity - just a world with one less sore loser.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Do Evil

Bwahaha!

Man, this feels evil! But the good, conquering-the-world type of evil.

But Creative seems to be more of a who-didn't-flush-the-toilet type of evil. Creative is just being stupid. If Microsoft keeps getting away with ripping off Apple's interface (not to mention many other programs), how is Creative going to get away with displaying songs in a digital music player?

Now, if there was a particular method on how the data is stored on the player, and Apple stole the method by some nefarious means, then Creative should have proper grounds to sue.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Who ever thought to organize mp3 files by artist, album, genre, playlist... i mean... thats freaking genius... noone would have ever thought of that. It's not like it's common sense or something... wait.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
stefan15 said:
Zen is an overall crappier package but sounds noticably better than an ipod.. There's also soundblaster. Either way I think suing for navigation systems is crap.. what about what the consumers want?

Let me make this clear. The Zen is an overall crappier deal, period. Sounds better? Here's the problem...

Creative is a sound card company. The Zen is a media player. If you use WAV, the Zen will sound better. If you want quality almost as high but want to be able to fit more than 10 albums on a media player, you need a bit rate high enoug to sound good and compressed enough to be compact - WM VBR or Apple Lossless would do well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for people like me (i.e., people that want lots of quality music), the iPod is the way to go if only because it supports Apple Lossless.

As for what the consumers want, that's not to be settled in courts anyway. As for Creative Labs's suit, their UI design is not original. Neither is Apple's, really. It's easy to use because it is simple, but in the end, it's been done before, and if people can sue over this, they can sue over any menu system. Really, Apple and Creative look stupid together on this.

Bottom line: Which sounds better? The Zen unless you want good sound and lots of tracks. What's wrong with suing over simple UI's? There's a difference between software innovation and being able to organize stuff in hierarchical groups.

interlard

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
Gone are the days when The Beatles said "sue!" and Apple bent over and took it.

However, patents were invented to fuel innovation in the Industrial Revolution. Inventors would share their designs, whilst being legally protected from copycats for a short time.

Software patents aren't fueling innovation. They're just a weapon. They really should be abandoned.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
well this all started with creative... so it should end with them. apple i would image has to know what they're doing. they wouldn't just start sueing people. i think apple will come out on top. creative is just angery that apple is doing so well. and that their products suck.

gomakeitreal

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2005
Berkeley, CA, USA
(L) said:
Let me make this clear. The Zen is an overall crappier deal, period. Sounds better? Here's the problem...

Creative is a sound card company. The Zen is a media player. If you use WAV, the Zen will sound better. If you want quality almost as high but want to be able to fit more than 10 albums on a media player, you need a bit rate high enoug to sound good and compressed enough to be compact - WM VBR or Apple Lossless would do well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for people like me (i.e., people that want lots of quality music), the iPod is the way to go if only because it supports Apple Lossless.

As for what the consumers want, that's not to be settled in courts anyway. As for Creative Labs's suit, their UI design is not original. Neither is Apple's, really. It's easy to use because it is simple, but in the end, it's been done before, and if people can sue over this, they can sue over any menu system. Really, Apple and Creative look stupid together on this.

Bottom line: Which sounds better? The Zen unless you want good sound and lots of tracks. What's wrong with suing over simple UI's? There's a difference between software innovation and being able to organize stuff in hierarchical groups.

I think FLAC is the way to go, and i remember there is some player supporting flac.

truly wish itune can support flac. =(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.