Creative suite 3 production premium Mac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kblaw, Jul 18, 2007.

1. kblaw macrumors newbie

What I want to find out from unbiased view point.

I am in the process of buying adobe's Creative suite 3 production premium. Will a iMac with 3 gigs of ram run without "slugging" down or freezing? or should i want till the next generation of Imac due in Aug or sept.

Also would the MacPro notebook work too??

thanks for the input

ken

2. rbroady macrumors regular

i have been wondering the same thing, i have a MBP core duo w/ 2gigs ram

i have used the trial versions of photoshop, illustrator, and indesign as well as flash and they worked great, even better then CS2

but i know that they suggest 3gb ram which is kind of rediculous

see me buying a mac pro very soon

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That iMac should do fine on many of those products as I run several of them on my PC with an Athlon 64 processor single core and 1GB of RAM and on my G5 Dual 2.0 and 2.5GB RAM. The biggest resource user in the group is Premiere since video editing takes a lot of resources.

Now if you wait the upgrades to the iMac could be minor or major. Considering how long it has been since the last update there could be a refresh in the motherboard's chipset and the GPU. A new chipset could mean greater RAM capacities say 4GB or 8GB limits and the GPU would not mean much for those products.

As for the processor there would not be much of a difference if the stuck with mobile processors since the current top dog is the Core 2 Extreme at 2.6 GHz. Now if they switched to desktop CPU's like I wish they would then the speed increases could be more drastic as a Core 2 Quadro could be stuffed in there assuming the case design can handle the heat output. It should be able to handle a Core 2 Duo desktop since that case design handled the G5 processor.

These are all if's based on what intel currently has available the next update could simply be a speed bump one notch up the mobile CPU chain. I highly doubt you would be unhappy running any of these apps on the iMac unless you are doing considerable video editing, especially HD video, in which case I would suggest a 4 or 8 core Mac Pro.

Now the Macbook Pro would basically be the same in terms of speed as the iMac. There is a slight speed increase and that extra 1GB of RAM can come in handy occasionally but I doubt there would be a major difference between the two, especially if you teemed the Macbook up with an external Hard Drive.

Since updates are hopefully coming soon I would wait. Unless you need a new computer right now the potential, and possibly eminent, upgrades Apple could be using are too tempting for me, personally, to consider purchasing the current model.