Creative tethering

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by revelated, Mar 11, 2011.

1. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Been searching for an hour and it seems nobody is doing what I find to be quite a brilliant idea. OK.

Trying to help a friend who is wanting to brilliantly capitalize on the iPad 2 craze. Every store is now inundated with iPad 1 stock of all six models, and of course they are all doing the $100 off. We have used MiFis and personal hotspots, and their one negative is the battery life. There are stories about tethering the iPad and it basically delivering at least 6 hours, which is fantastic.

So here's what he wants. We picked up the 16GB 3G iPad.

• Turn the iPad into a WiFi Hotspot. We don't want to use Bluetooth or USB, that defeats the purpose. We want it to be a hotspot.
    • Ideally supports WPA/WPA2. He'll deal with the crappy WEP but it isn't ideal only because of the strict ASCII requirements around the password.
    • iPad is jailbroken so apps are wide open.

Now, I know there are basically four primary apps: MyWi, TetherMe, iTether and PDA Net.

I make the assumption that PDA Net is not an option as it's not the iPhone (Though correct me if that's a wrong assumption).

MyWi seems to be perfect, but the WEP is a turn-off as is the reports of instability and of course the significantly high price. Claims to have a trial, but damned if I can find where to get it without ponying up payment information.

TetherMe seems to be in the right direction come 4.3, but will 4.3 on iPad even have the Mobile Hotspot feature, and will this app support it on the iPad? Not clear from my research which all points to iPhone, not iPad. Also the text says he's offering the program for $1.99, yet the buy now price is $4.99.

iTether seems to be a red-headed stepchild in all this. I can't find anything that supports it as a viable option, people are only talking about MyWi and TetherMe.

Any ideas?

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

This makes no sense. First you go on about business and iPad 1's. Then you suddenly switch topic to asking what the best tethering method is? These sound mutually exclusive to me. Unless you want to... stuff it. I don't know. rephrase please.

3. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

You seriously are incapable of reading? Read the three bullets in the middle. Then read the sentences below that outline the apps we believe will accomplish this. What's difficult?

4. krztov macrumors newbie

Hard to read that someone is spending too much just to have a hotspot. Much cheaper, smaller methods exist.

5. revelated thread starter macrumors 6502a

revelated

$529 + $25/month on months needed only with no contract and no credit check....and oh by the way, it also functions as a full browser if you want;

vs $50/month for 2 years = ~$1200 plus credit check plus possible deposit plus ETF if you decide you don't like it; or

vs $300 plus $50/month plus activation fee(s) plus credit check.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

The main reason he even brought it up - and it's a good one - is that AT&T does not offer a prepaid MiFi. Verizon's data is EXTREMELY slow. Reliable, but slow. He's wanting to have a backup, but he's not inclined to be locked into a contract.

Anyone failing to see the logic in that, I don't know what to tell you.