Creative uses for a jailbroken, forcibly tethered iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GFLPraxis, Apr 21, 2010.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Odd title, I know. I've got my mother's old first gen iPhone, which she destroyed with water damage.

Interestingly, after leaving it in a bag of rice, I've gotten it to a functional state- when plugged in.

When I unplug it, it functions fine until the screen turns off, at which point it goes into an indefinite reboot cycle (apple logo appears, disappears, reappears, rinse repeat). Same thing happens if I try to boot it up while not on power.

But as long as it remains plugged in, it functions fine.

So, does anyone have any thoughts as to interesting things I can do with an iPhone that has to be plugged in? Right now I'm thinking of running a web server on it...but I was curious if anyone had any better ideas.

2. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

use it as a mini display connected to your computer - iDisplay
    or a game controller for those simple Rom games - joypad

3. anthdci macrumors 6502

restore it back to some original OS then put it in for one of those recycling schemes, you should get a fair bit cash in exchange for it :)

4. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hadn't seen iDisplay before, that's cool :D

Recycling schemes?

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

use it as a paper weight that can play music and movies..

6. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I use a very old iPod that's in a similar state to play one of those nature tracks ('long soothing rain') on loop at night when I sleep (hooked up to some speakers obviously).

7. luvu01 macrumors regular

as you said when it unplug and the screen is off the phone wont turn on again until you plug it in again? if so. i think you should download neverlock in cydia and use it as a regular iphone i guess.