Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Without wear levelling you may wear out a few MB of the card and then have failures.

Greg

Well, take out the wear leveling and failures, it should be possible but I'm not sure if the SD cards, even Class 10 would be fast enough. If it is, it's remotely possible. All my SD cards are lifetime warranty anyways.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Maybe use it for Time Machine backup of crucial files (if possible)?

I personally only back up my Home folder (minus the Library) to save my Music, Videos, Documents & Pictures - so my Time Machine backup was initially 18GBs.

If I had a new MacBook, I might buy a 32GB SD and use it. Often times that not, I don't connect my Mac to my External HD for weeks at a time - so the SD Backup would always be there.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
would it be possible to run windows 7 via bootcamp off a 32GB SD card? I would love to do that rather than dictate a portion of my HDD to it.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Without wear levelling you may wear out a few MB of the card and then have failures.

Greg

yep.

cards will wear out quick using them for that.

i use mine to put my osx restore disc onto, that way i only have to carry around a sd card to reload my os :D

not to mention tech tool can be loaded onto it also so you can boot that on the go in an emergency,

music and picture storage.

tons of things :D

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
Does anyone have a picture of the SD card installed in the slot? I'd like to know how far one sticks out, or if it's flush. Can you leave the card in the slot all the time without worrying that it'll get bumped or snagged?

ValkyrieLenneth

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Vietnam
Does anyone have a picture of the SD card installed in the slot? I'd like to know how far one sticks out, or if it's flush. Can you leave the card in the slot all the time without worrying that it'll get bumped or snagged?

Half of the card will stick out. I used to think your way but give up for now... :(

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
My guess is that apple will start shipping OS X 10.7 or .8 via SD card, but it's not really a make or break type of thing.
That would be great...

I hope that apple will do away with optical drives soon, and release software via dl or usb/sd cards in the near future. Although optical media is very cheap, it is such an outdated and unreliable delivery method. I've had two Apple notebook Superdrives crap out within a year of use, and I am not alone. The lack of reliabilty is well known in the Apple community.

My hope is that Apple is considering more advanced delivery methods for future notebook revisions. I think the result may represent a better user experience for us, and potentially less cost for Apple, warranty repairs, replacements, cost of media...etc.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
That would be great...

I hope that apple will do away with optical drives soon, and release software via dl or usb/sd cards in the near future. Although optical media is very cheap, it is such an outdated and unreliable delivery method. I've had two Apple notebook Superdrives crap out within a year of use, and I am not alone. The lack of reliabilty is well known in the Apple community.

My hope is that Apple is considering more advanced delivery methods for future notebook revisions. I think the result may represent a better user experience for us, and potentially less cost for Apple, warranty repairs, replacements, cost of media...etc.

Gotta agree. Removing the optical drives will provide a lot of space for other stuff in the laptops (like dual HDDs) or potentially make them even thinner than they are.

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
Get a 16GB SDHC card, install OS X and your must-have apps et voila! emergency backup system.

I use SD cards to get files from one computer to the other - basically like a USB drive, just smaller.

All of which can easily be done with an ExpressCard slot, and you can have an SSD ExpressCard for a small backup system that can remain in and flush. Multimedia card readers are flush, too. I mainly use three ExpressCards: 16GB SSD, SD card reader, eSATA. Obviously, no matter how you look at it, ExpressCard is more versatile. It really sucks that Apple did away with it in the 15". Then again, it's why Apple gave me a 17", hah.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I don't normally resurrect threads but thought this one was some fun irony. Was doing a search about my SD card and this came up. Guess Apple is good at seeing future trends.

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
If anything it would be a USB flash drive, but optical media is so cheap why bother? Maybe they could offer it online some how, but an SD is pretty unlikely.

Haha, just came across this.. you predicted the future 2 years ago my friend

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I don't normally resurrect threads but thought this one was some fun irony. Was doing a search about my SD card and this came up. Guess Apple is good at seeing future trends.

Man, I can't believe two years ago, we were thinking about getting rid of ODDs and install Mac OS X with other method. I just found this post:

If anything it would be a USB flash drive, but optical media is so cheap why bother? Maybe they could offer it online some how, but an SD is pretty unlikely.

Haha, this guy got it right man :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.