creative VADO HD and the MAC

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bfulkerth, Dec 7, 2008.

1. bfulkerth macrumors newbie

Does anyone have ideas re the upcoming Creative Vado? Sysrequirements are Windows. Will Mac'rs be able to get files from the camera and use them somehow with Mac software, or other conversion hardware?

Thanks,

Bob Fulkerth :confused:

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Why not look at the Flip Mino HD instead? I believe Flip is more friendly to Mac users. Another option is the Aiptek products, I have one of those and it works great with iMovie 08.

3. bfulkerth thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

I appreciate the reply, but I'm also interested in the general question of what format these cameras use and how they play w/Mac. I understand that several use MPEG4, which is workable for mac.

So when Creative says that requirements are for Windows, does that mean that the actual video file is Windows-centric, OR, that the accompanying software with the camera is Windows friendly? I'm trying to get at that distinction.

I'm just getting into video and think but am not sure that it doesn't matter which OS is used even with a Windows-centric device, as long as you can get the video file off the device and into the computer. Once you get it into the computer, then it seems to me that if you have the proper tools (conversion tools, iMovie etc) you can play with the file. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob

4. bfulkerth thread starter macrumors newbie

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

If it produces an MPEG4 video and it is flash based, as the Creative unit is, it "should" by ok with iMovie, but then again I'd rather buy something that specifically called out Mac support.

6. Mac Dummy macrumors regular

The Creative Vado HD and the Flip Mino HD shoot h.264 video @ 30fps however the Vado HD encodes its video in AVI format while the Flip Mino HD uses the more common MPEG 4 format. So to use the video files that the Vado HD produces you'll need to use a program like ffmpeg X or Visual Hub to encode to MPEG 4 if you want to edit the video with iMovie. Now you can watch the Vado HD video clips with something like VLC player, since Quicktime won't read AVI files.

The Vado HD does have a few things going for it that the Flip does not. Its got a wider angle lens than the Flip, a mini HDMI port to connect to an HDTV plus a standard AV port, twice to storage as the Flip (8Gb vs 4Gb, translates to 2 hours of recording vs 1) and a removable Li-Ion battery. Where as the Flip's battery is sealed inside the camcorder like an Ipod.

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

all of them

all these cameras shoot in h.264 for hd. Some like the kodak I think shoot in 60fps, not that this is really necessary.

Here is a nice deal on the creative TODAY ONLY most likely

Creative Labs Vado HD 720p Pocket Video Camcorder $129.99 with free shipping...this is $100 off!
    This is from Amazon.com
    Simply add the Vado HD to your Shopping Cart, enter promo code MY88J7DV at checkout, and Amazon will instantly apply a $100 savings.

VADO HD at Amazon

8. bubs macrumors newbie

yes

if this thread is still valid. the answer is yes. you can get the videos off the camera with a mac. I just bought one, shot some video and drag and dropped in onto my desktop. even the box says mac compatible.

just filling the void if anyone is still wondering.

9. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

The software does NOT work with a Mac however the video does.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

new software

The new software for MAC use is now available, nice