iPod Creative Video iPod Killer (again)

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Creative is making another attempt to create "iPod Killer" :D .
This time it is direct run on new video iPods.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/07/creative_vision-m/

I am getting tired of every new device being called "iPod Killer" but I actually think this Creative Vision:M is promising device. Not iPod killer but worthy competitor, at least on the hardware front. While it does not have iTunes infrastructure to support it, Vision:M does support DivX/XviD which is a big plus in my eyes. If they only priced this thing somewhat cheaper than iPod, I would consider it.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
liketom said:
yeah i read that on engadget this morning , that interface looks the same as another well known brand :D
GREEN! WOW i'm switching!

really, I now want a green ipod!

I doubt it will be a "killer" but they will certainly grab some bidness from apple if the price is right. it supports more video codec, perhaps apple will update this on the ipod to keep pace??

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
This is a lot thicker than the iPod and looks almost like something made by Fisher Price....with iPod style inspiration. I'm sure it will do okay, but not an iPod killer.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Creative took pains to copy the iPod's style and interface as much as possible whilst at the same time deftly dancing around legal issues.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Lord Blackadder said:
Creative took pains to copy the iPod's styl and interface as much as possible whilst at the same time deftly dancing around legal issues
A technique used all the time, quite often in music on TV shows, they change it enough so they don't have to pay royalties :)

Ubuntu

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Damn.

I actually thought Creative was going somewhere with design. The Nomad looked like a retro tape player, the Zen Touch looked okay... I really liked the Zen Sleek look-wise. Not as good as my black iPod video, but certainly not bad.

Now they've just screwed up again.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I doubt these guys have an original idea in their heads. They keep touting they are major competitors to Apple's iPod yet they rip off the concept and design and produce something cheap and nasty that really doesn't deliver as well as promised in any case.

Maybe blatant copying of other people's hard work and devotion to technology should be punishable in Singapore? Seems the only language they understand over there, anyone have a noose handy? :p

crazyjoeda

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
Vancouver
It looks like a thicker iPod with awkward controles and less sytle. On the plus it looks like it will have a longer battery life for video and does support divx.

Scruge

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
Jovian9 said:
This is a lot thicker than the iPod and looks almost like something made by Fisher Price....with iPod style inspiration. I'm sure it will do okay, but not an iPod killer.
this is absolutely hideous to look at. seriously how can you walk around with something like that.
no way ill buy anything this huge.
its like standing in the subway with ur nano and looking over and seeing someone holding this thing: GAMEBOY.jpg

creative fails again:cool:

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Bern said:
I doubt these guys have an original idea in their heads. They keep touting they are major competitors to Apple's iPod yet they rip off the concept and design and produce something cheap and nasty that really doesn't deliver as well as promised in any case.
All from a company with the moniker "Creative"...:rolleyes:

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Pug Fugly.

Too thick, too heavy, the interface is a shambles. Buttons everywhere.

What is it with Creative, Sony, iRiver et al? They just keep making these players with a thousand buttons, big clunky things that remind me of how thick the first iPod was. I mean this new Creative is 2cm thick - compared to the 30GB iPod's 1.1 it looks like a brick. Why can Apple cram all the technology into a space half as thick but these guys can't?

Sorry Creative. Must. Try. Harder.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Too bad the iPod can't play some of those DivX files. Creative has them beat on that in my opinion.

jon

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
yes, those are ugly, but that might also mean that more revenue for apple selling video to these players too (well mpeg4 anyways)... just a thought.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
IMO the iPod is much better looking... I can't understand why people would want that instead of the iPod video. Is there a significant price difference or what?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
maddav said:
A technique used all the time, quite often in music on TV shows, they change it enough so they don't have to pay royalties :)
It happens very often in music, because you can't copyright chord changes. Moanin' (Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers) became So What (Miles Davis), Charlie Parker's KoKo (or was that Scrapple from the Apple?) was based on the chords from another song.

1rottenapple

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2004
Apple NEEDs a serious competitor imo. I hope it is successful so that it can push apple to add more ****, ie gapless playback, more features, more inovations, more format supports.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
jsupetran said:
Apple NEEDs a serious competitor imo. I hope it is successful so that it can push apple to add more ****, ie gapless playback, more features, more inovations, more format supports.

I don't think we could call Creative a serious competitor when they rip off the technology and design. Now if they could actually think for themselves over there and come up with something new well maybe then we could discuss the serious competitor idea.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Bubbasteve said:
IMO the iPod is much better looking... I can't understand why people would want that instead of the iPod video. Is there a significant price difference or what?
yeah the iPod is currently $31 cheaper for 30GB. well see what happens when they release in the US, but the exchange rate marks this player at $329.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Ah, but for that $31 you get an AC adapter included, (great for marketing it to those who are less computer literate I find), and you can play back more video types on the machine, (great for those illegally downloading).

Wait a minute, "great for those illegally downloading", until we get an equivalent iTMS for other types of video, there isn't vast amounts you could legally put onto one of these things. Perhaps someone might clampdown and accuse Creative of encouraging illegal downloading. I doubt they include ripping software, (for your DVDs), that adds copy protection into it. They could be shooting themselves in the foot if they aren't careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.