Creative Xmod - impressions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lancer X, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Lancer X macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if any of you are using a Creative Xmod with your iMac? What are your impressions?

I'm migrating from a PC to an iMac, and I'm really going to miss the 24-bit Crystalizer (for music) and 3D-sound emulation for headphones (for gaming) that my old internal X-Fi sound card provided.

In particular, I really liked the CMSS-3D spatialization in my headphones when playing WoW.

2. minik macrumors 65816

I have been using it for a few years without any problem on my iMac. The X-Fi Crystalizer is always enabled and connected to my speaker and/or headphone. With the USB interface, it's recognized under Audio MIDI Setup.

After I bought the Mac mini, I pretty much moved my stuff away from the iMac. Are you interested on the Creative Xmod?

3. Lancer X thread starter macrumors newbie

4. whitefang macrumors 6502

Can the XMod connect to a 5.1 setup (Z-5500) setup (and have 5.1 sound)? And does it have the crystallizer function enabled?

5. Lancer X thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the product's website:
    http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=668&product=15913

Audio output is via a 3.5mm stereo jack, so I'd say no. To get true 5.1, it would have to be outputting via digital coax or TOSLINK audio jacks. (Or the three analog 3.5mm jacks that 5.1 PC speakers use too, I guess).

This unit acts like an external USB soundcard and outputs a 2-channel stereo signal. 3D-enhanced sound sent to speakers is still only 2-channel stereo. If I understand correctly, the card does understand 5.1 audio, and does what it can with it to spacial-ize sound for two speakers.

(The CMSS-3D output in a headset is *very* convincing however, at least via the internal X-Fi card I had in my old PC. They even somehow manage to make the impression of sound in front or behind you very distinct, and I can't imagine how they pull this off in a headset.)

Yes, the Xmod has Creative's 24-bit Crystalizer function, and this processing can be switched on and off, and the level of its effect adjusted. Again, at least on my old PC X-Fi card, it made compressed MP3 music sound fantastic.

6. cube macrumors G5

I use it with my Cube. It has a tendency to switch off by itself.