Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
I have seen some info. on here already, but I am unclear about the answer…. Is there a credible unlock solution for an at&t locked iphone 4s 5.1.1? I was looking at the R-Sim III & Gevey Ultra S. Are these legit… and if so, any limitations after the unlock (web browsing, facetime, sms, etc)? Thanks,

buntym

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Personally I'd use an IMEI unlock site. This way you don't need to worry about upgrading your FW and what not. It's a bit pricier, but more satisfying IMO. Sites like gsmliberty.net and cutyoursim.com offer fast AT&T unlocking in the 100-120 dollar range.

jrz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks for the info. I looked at those websites... was hoping to find something more instant before a trip this weekend. Here I thought I'd save myself from paying a high cost of an unlocked phone- I was wrong :(

changuiro

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Unlock iphone 4s iOS 5.1.1

Hi
I have a probleme with my iphone i but some months ago in France, i live in Mexico right now and I can't unlock the iphone for the Telcel microsim i tried installing ultrasn0w but it wont install completely i also tried the SAMpref but i wont help i really dont know what to do. Does anybody knows the answer??:confused: help please.:apple:

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
Hi
I have a probleme with my iphone i but some months ago in France, i live in Mexico right now and I can't unlock the iphone for the Telcel microsim i tried installing ultrasn0w but it wont install completely i also tried the SAMpref but i wont help i really dont know what to do. Does anybody knows the answer??:confused: help please.:apple:

There's your problem. Ultrasn0w won't work with your 4S. The only solutions are to buy the Gevey Sim poser or do a factory unlock.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
It seems much harder in the states to gain an unlock than in the Uk.

I use the network 02 on payg who willingly provide the unlock for a very small fee.

Users on contract get this unlock free.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

I use the network 02 on payg who willingly provide the unlock for a very small fee.

O2 are the exception to the rule when it comes to unlocking though.

Vodafone, Three, Orange and T-Mobile will only do official unlocks for the original owner.

O2 as you say, will do it free for contract customers, or via PAYG credit for someone that bought a 2nd hand iPhone.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
O2 are the exception to the rule when it comes to unlocking though.

Vodafone, Three, Orange and T-Mobile will only do official unlocks for the original owner.

O2 as you say, will do it free for contract customers, or via PAYG credit for someone that bought a 2nd hand iPhone.

And for people like me who bought the iPhone 4s on payg from them. Fee is £15.

jrz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Update

After searching and painful comparisons and ultimately understanding a permanant unlock is the way to go... I went with the real deal, imei unlock. Used this site: http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/

Amazing service. Submitted my order Friday morning and by 6 pm they had my phone unlocked.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

And for people like me who bought the iPhone 4s on payg from them. Fee is £15.

I had my 4S unlocked by 3, who charged me a bizarre figure of £15.32 or something-how do they arrive at that amount!? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.