credit card 60-day price protection - need PRINTED price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rikers_mailbox, Sep 10, 2007.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Here's the sitch.. I bought my iPhone on iLaunch using a Citi Mastercard. After hearing about AmEx refunds, I discovered that my Mastercard card also has 60 day price protection insurance. I called customer service and started asking questions...

The deal is that they will refund the money (less the $100 store credit), BUT proof of the price drop is needed. And to them, accepted "Proof" is ONLY some kind of printed advertisement. An internet printout is not acceptable, it must be a printed advertisement.

Has anyone seen the new iPhone price printed ANYWHERE? Like an Apple or AT&T advertisement or circular? Newspaper? Anything?

edit: found this thread in the Apple forums on the same dillema

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Can't you grab a copy of one of the billions of newspaper articles on the iPhone price drop? A respected one, like the New York Times or the International Herald Tribune?

3. cybertron3 macrumors member

I have a Citi card too but I havent called yet. What number did you call? Was it just customer service?

4. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Policy from the price protection website:

Can't say if all MasterCards are covered, but I called:

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If you live close to an Apple store, you could see if an employee will make a photocopy of their little price cards that are on the table tops next to the iPhones. Pretty sure they have part/ model number and I know for sure they have updated prices on them.

6. rikers_mailbox thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing. I'm in LA.. lots of stores nearby. :cool:

7. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

I kind of find this funny. Not about you, but the credit companies just making it difficult for everyone. Its not like its a monitor by samsung you bought at best buy or even a tv by sony. Its the iPhone, and I say "its the iPhone" because it been on the news in a million different places. Can't they just go to the website and look?

But needless to say, couldn't you just do a screen shot of the website and print it out?

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

just photoshop the old price into a current ad, print it.

9. cjandnw macrumors 6502

drater...

Its just like mail in rebates. The more hoops they make us jump through, the greater the atrition rate. Fewer people recieving the rebate or in our situation, fewer people getting a price protection refund.

10. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

My WAMU Mastercard Check Card plan says that a printed add from an online retailer would be valid. Maybe you can go to an AT&T store and have them give you a printed statement on their store letterhead?

11. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

why cant you just go to the apple website and print out the page that displays the iphones price.

12. jersey macrumors regular

Printed ad in Wired

I've seen printed ads in wired, and in small print it listed the price of both models. Surely a place to start.

13. billku macrumors newbie

Can you tell me which month/issue of "Wired"? And was it for the new ($399) price? Thanks!

14. billku macrumors newbie

Checked Wired. No iPhone ad. I talked to Chase Mastercard and they would not accept the photocopy of the AT&T store apple iPhone display card. This is all getting very frustrating... :(

15. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Thats rediculous, they think they'll push you away so you dont go thru with it.
    They can verify the price of the Iphone within 2 seconds if they want.
    A$$holes

16. billku macrumors newbie

Yup, they're being very difficult.

Again, anyone seen a print ad featuring the new price? If so, can you give me the details?

17. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Still nothing bro?
    Did you try any of those computer magazines to see if they got any printed ads.
    Thats crazy they're playin you like that :(

18. aerospace macrumors 6502a

ask to speak to the customer service reps supervisor, then his supervisor, until you get someone who can do something. like was said before, they know the price has dropped, its not some obscure product you bought.

if that doesnt work, tell them your next call will be the BBB, make sure to get thier full name and title so you can mention them by name... ;)

19. Littlebit macrumors member

Not sure why you DON'T expect them to make you jump through hoops. Sure, price protection from credit cards sounds like a nice deal on paper, but it's still, essentially, an insurance policy. And companies that offer insurance policies, whether they be for health, home, travel, personal items or anything else, are going to fight tooth and nail to keep every penny they can because that's how they make a profit and stay in business.

Has anybody tried to contact Apple and find out if someone (perhaps in their advertising department?) can help you find a print ad with the price?

20. dangleheart macrumors 6502

billku, I realize you are trying to take the path of least resistance by finding a real ad. After all these days someone would have told you if they had seen one. I think it is time to get nasty by escalating through the managerial chain. Let us know what happened.

21. juxel macrumors newbie

There is a full page color iPhone ad (with the new $399 price) in the Sunday edition of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

22. billku macrumors newbie

AND one in today's New York Newsday from AT&T. Finally! Sorry to bug everyone over this for a week, but 200 bucks is 200 bucks.

23. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I suspect they're being real tough on this one, because they already know about the substantial price drop, and have already analyzed how much it could potentially cost them- it probably could cost them a few million if they aren't tough about it. But I say they should suck it up, pay the difference, and then analyze whether they should continue to offer that service. But at least be honest about the service and not play these games.