Credit Card Applications

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sideonecincy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Is there a block list, like with telemarketers, to stop credit card companies from sending you applications every week? I usually get about 3 in the mail every day and it is annoying.

I figured since there was something like that for telemarketers, then there was most probably the same idea for credit card companies.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. artalliance macrumors 6502

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, it works. The advantage of this program is that is doesn't rely on the credit card companies to do anything. It's the credit reporting agencies who will refuse to give your credit info to the credit card companies. There are only four reporting agencies, and they're required by law to honor these requests, so they do a good job on this. It can take a while for the opt-out to kick in though...there can be a long lead time on these offers.

5. Lau Guest

Forgive me for being the grammar police, but assuming that it's something along the lines of the Mail Preference Service and therefore fairly official, that is a pretty shocking error in their NO!!!1! YOU IS NOT US screen.

Picture 1.png

Still, good to beat the paper-based spammers, either way. Carry on. ;)

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It does. I signed up this winter as I was getting literally one a day and I haven't gotten a single one since.

My junk mail has also plummeted but I can't say for sure that they're connected.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

An interesting way to tell is to put subtle typos in your name or address when you sign up for, say, magazine subscriptions. "John Smith" gets turned into "Jahn Smith", for example. I found this out by accident when someone misread my writing when processing my subscription to a magazine.

At first I was annoyed, but when credit card offers and stuff started appearing addressed to "Jahn", I immediately knew who had sold me out...