Credit Card question (please help)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nampramos, Oct 13, 2011.

1. nampramos macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    Hope this is correct place to write this question.

Can I make a purchase on the Canadian Online Apple Store with a VISA Credit Card from the USA?

Or does Apple require that the billing address on the card be a Canadian address?

Thank you!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can only use a Canadian billing address in Canada and likewise only a US billing address in the US. You can also only ship to the country that the store is designated for.

However if you choose, you can cross the border to the Canada and make a purchase if you're inclined to do so, and if you do, you are certainly able to use a US credit card in Canada.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not sure why you would need to do this. Generally, the Canadian prices are higher than the US prices. If you do cross the border to buy in a Canadian store, do some research to see if you can get the GST (federal sales tax) refunded. I don't know what the conditions are, but I know that you can get the GST refunded on certain items. It's 5% across the country.

Also, if you are buying something in a smaller store, it is sometimes possible to get the PST (provincial sales tax - different rates per province, sometimes it's 0%) refunded as well. In most provinces, stores don't collect PST on items shipped out of province. Technically, they have to ship the item themselves, but I've known stores to simply write "Shipped to BC" on the invoice and hand me the item. In essence you've become the shipper. Technically, the store isn't supposed to do this... but I've been lucky a few times. You can't just ask them to waive the PST, you should ask them whether they can ship it. Explain that you save the PST. Start figuring out whether the PST is more than the shipping cost. Three times out of ten they don't want the hassle of packing and standing in line at the Post Office, and they just hand you the box.

Luck.

4. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Your credit card company will also charge a service fee for the foreign purchase. This is usually a percentage of the charged amount. It is usually around 1-2%.