Credit Card Requirement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JohnDuffy, May 18, 2015.

1. JohnDuffy macrumors newbie

I have tried to upgrade to the free Yosemite but it is impossible without giving credit card information.

I have had about 20 e-mails with Apple most of which tell me I can download without giving credit card details but all prove to be false.

One e-mail told me I could create a fake I/D but Apple would let me do that without me giving my name and address and telephone number which doesn't help because Apple does not recognise the country in which I live. I was even directed to Spanish speaking Mexico and Portuguese speaking Brazil for help but since I speak neither of those languages, it wasn't much help.

I was told to speak to the U.S. which I have to do on an international call. After several minutes of 'jumping through hoops', I was told I would have to wait five minutes for an adviser. I put the 'phone down.

If Yosemite is free then I ought to be able to click on a download, no questions asked. I paid cash for my last upgrade in an Apple store, no one asked me for anything. What has happened to Apple's legendary service? Gone the way of Microsoft.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

A CC isn't required. Apple even gives instructions here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204034

If they don't recognise your country, just put in fake address details. The address sonly used to verify billing information anyway, so with no CC there's no issue.

3. JohnDuffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Credit card requirement

Brian makes a comment about putting in a fake address. I tried that but it would not work. Apple seemed to assume I was in the U.S. and, without a proper U.S. address, it kept rejecting what I was entering.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Then put in a valid, US address.

Pick a coffee shop, or something, and use the address.

5. JohnDuffy thread starter macrumors newbie

Credit card requirement

Thanks Brian. I tried that using a Ford Dealer in Miami but it caught me out as Apple realised I was not in Miami but, surprisingly, it let me complete entering the address but in my own country. I am in the process of downloading Yosemite. We will see what happens next.