Credit card stolen online 3x-ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alleyoop, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

In the past year I have had 3 separate credit/debit card numbers stolen from 2 different accounts. PayPal twice, and a regular bank account most recently. The actual card was never misplaced or stolen.

I am trying to figure out how this happens to see if I can prevent it.

Two times the card was used overseas, in 2 different countries. Most recently a charge was incurred for an online dating site in Ireland! That, and $700 worth of other charges. There was Cricket, Newegg, an international service fee, etc. Over the past few days I have noticed the charges being reversed. So obviously something they entered raised suspicion. My bank was going to reverse charges but not until after I wrote a statement, which I haven’t sent them yet.

Some background info to help figure this out, if you will. I have been working on Macs exclusively for 15 years. I never fall for any email phishing scams. I never get any phone calls asking for info. I always use bookmarked, legitimate URLS when accessing banking sites and other sites that would require sensitive info. I did have a router with no password for while. It has since been replaced with a new modem/router with WPA password protection. This has happened while using my PowerBook and now with my i5 MBP. My husband uses a MacBook at home for all banking and many purchases. He has never had any card numbers stolen.

I have to make purchases online for my small business. I sometimes do this at small, local coffee shops. Bad? I use the physical cards at coffee shops too. I rarely use them anywhere else-sometimes at a small, local health food store.

Could a worker be stealing info? Could I be keylogged somehow? Could my info be read on open WIFI or WEBbeams at the coffee shops? I try to be discrete and aware when entering info like passwords in public. I am running Sophos right now; not sure if it could pick up a keylogger or other program that could steal my data… Is this the best way to check if I have something on my computer giving my info? Other ideas?

Editing to add Sophos results: 0 threats, 140 errors. Can errors lead to this type of problem at all?

2. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Could be malware on a router you have used (like a coffee shop), that is platform independent IIRC

Or something unrelated to online purchases

3. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Both my sister and I's credit card info was stolen a few months ago (about 3 weeke apart) and used to make obviously fraudulent purchases.

We bank at the same place but she lives in Spain and has her statements mailed here.

The lady at the credit card company said it was probably randomly generated numbers and not to worry about it.

There really is nothing to do if you have a relatively secure computer and wireless router. I certainly wouldnt curb my usage of credit cards because some scanner may use it fraudulently. The credit cards had fraud units that take care of that stuff.

The paypal I'd be worried about. At least change your password to that account and don't use their debit card.

4. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the PayPal card numbers were stolen and I changed the password and got a new card issued with new numbers of course. A few months later the new card numbers were stolen. I asked PayPal if they were having issues an they said no.

5. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

It can literally be from any source that you have used your card at. Maybe a coffee shop employee is sniffing data of the wifi router. Or the creepy guy who lives above the shop that you don't even know exists. Could be a temp at some processing center. Who knows...the banks should cover you and, yeah, its a pain but that's the world we live in.