Credit Check

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledrummer, Jun 26, 2007.

1. appledrummer macrumors member

Ok, I'm under 18 and am a potential iPhone buyer. (man is it sweet!) I was going to buy it the day it comes out without my parents. Then I heard something about a credit check. Doe this mean I cannot walk out of the store with an iphone unless my parents are there?:confused:

2. Jeffrey903 macrumors member

You are probably correct. I am in the same situation as you, and am just having my dad meet me in line at about 5pm.

3. appledrummer thread starter macrumors member

What?

4. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

in the activation video, it says you must be 18 to activate an iphone

5. appledrummer thread starter macrumors member

yes, i fully understand that part, but i'm just wondering if I can leave the store without having to have one of my parents come in a have a credit check?

6. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Well, if you're 18, you can technically get the iPhone without a parent, however AT&T may require a hefty deposit to secure your line, in which case, it would probably be to your benefit to put the phone in a parent's name and save yourself the money.

7. 4695269 Suspended

Do you think they will redo a credit check if you are already an ATT customer?

8. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I doubt it.

I would *think* you simply need to activate the phone in the parents name, not be 18 to simply purchase the iPhone from an AT&T/pple store.

Edit: Just found this thread which MAY be of interest:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=319734

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I think that's crazy. My parents would never have let me get a $600 phone when I was still in high school....or college for that matter.

Shoot, they probably think it's crazy that I'm going to get one now!

10. OMAC1A macrumors newbie

For those of you wondering about the credit check, I am pretty sure that you can go into an ATT store today to see if you will qualify for an iPhone. If you have marginal credit this might save you a lot of angst on Friday. In theory, all you should have to do is go back on Friday and they will be able to pull your paperwork without checking your credit again. But please ask an ATT employee this because multiple credit checks in a short period of time is bad. I wouldn't want my advice to cause someones credit score to go down and possible deny them an iPhone.