Credit for Exercise?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by WayneHixson, May 21, 2015.

1. WayneHixson macrumors member

I just did 30 minutes Outdoor Walking at about 3.3 mph and HR between 115 and 125. I'm 65 years young. I got credit for 3 minutes of exercise. Seems the bar is set pretty high. Are there defined criteria for exercise minutes for the various workouts?

2. mbern1008 macrumors regular

I believe it is considered a brisk walk at 4 MPH

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Have you done the 1.0.1 upgrade? The exercise circle seems more lenient since the upgrade.

4. ColoArtist macrumors regular

I'm still sorting it out, but it seems that different selections in the exercise app yield different results on the exercise ring for the same amount of work.

Being 62 my target heart rate is around 85-135 bpm. When I'm out for a brisk walk, around 19-22 minute miles, my heart rate is usually in the range of 100-125.

If I select "walk" I might get 30 minutes credit for a 60 minute walk. However, if I select "other" I get the full 60 minutes credited into the exercise ring.

This seems the same under versions 1.0 and 1.0.1.

5. bruab macrumors newbie

Yeah same here - I did 45 minutes on the treadmill, which I entered as "45 minute Indoor Walk". It game me credit for 1.2 miles (vs 2.1 according to the treadmill) and I got a whopping SEVEN minutes of exercise for the day. Yesterday I did nothing and I got five.

6. IndomitableBana macrumors member

It seems to me that I have to have my heart rate over 130 for it to qualify as exercise. I did a 90 minute hike this morning and got credited 57 minutes of exercise.

I'd like to see more customization options for the green and blue circles. Hopefully in the next update!