Credit to the moderators

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Eraserhead, May 9, 2009.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd just like to point out how much improved the moderation has been on MacRumors since the new mods were added.

I've had a couple of "run-ins" with the mods (in a good way) over the past few days and I'd like to credit them for it.

Firstly there was a (frankly hilarious) anti Mac troll thread that was shut down within about 5 minutes of being reported by me.

And then today I saw the following in forum spy asking for developers to "share" snow leopard which is piracy, and that thread was already gone when I saw it in Forum spy about 2 minutes after it was created.

Picture 4.png

Keep up the good work guys!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I was just about to report that post and it wouldn't let me as it had already been deleted. Good work mods.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

These new mods are so good that they're actually deleting problem posts before they're made. ;)

We're very glad to have our new additions on board, and happy to see that the difference they're making is visible to folks other than those of us in the back room. :)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If they could only delete all the crap I don't like, I'd be impressed.

Good job newbies! :D

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

We could make it so you can't see anything... if you want... :D

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG]If you ban his ISP addy, he'll use a proxy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Aside, I'd like to see the work schedule. It must be some piece of work.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

25 hours a day, 8 days a week. :cool:

Shhhh, don't spill the beans on our secret weapon. :D

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Minority Report technology ... or Tom Cruise sealed in a closet?

9. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

How do the moderators do that? Can you all watch someone while they are writing a thread before they post it? I have recently noticed some threads have already been removed the second they pop up in the Forum Spy....so I guess the mods really are getting good :)

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It's a joke, there is a delay between the post and Spy. Sometimes it can be almost a minute long. Posts do show up immediately in the New Posts section though.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In general I would agree, but right now there seems to be a gap in the Moderator coverage. I've reported a number of threads/posts some of which are clear violations. Nothing has happened for some time (over an hour in at least one case I think). A quick check shows no mods or admins online right now...

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I think that is unavoidable. Although we live in different time zones, we have jobs and families in addition to being mods. ;) Sometimes there will be lots of us on at once, sometimes there might well be a period with no one.

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I agree and understand that. I did think that the potential moderators geographic location was taken into account when choosing new moderators to try and limit this. Clearly there will be times when there are no moderators available, I was simply posting this to keep the tread balanced :)

14. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yes, it appears I'm the first one after that gap when I check in the morning and there's usually a bit of work to do :)
    I try my best to do it right away ;)

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You just think we're not here... it let's the rascals think they can get away with stuff without us knowing. :p

I'd have to go look to see what you reported but I'm not going to because I'm lazy but...... just because you report something doesn't mean we'll take action either. We'll always look at it though even if it takes us a while. I know sometimes I come on, read a bunch of post reports and often do the more cumbersome ones first.

16. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Well, while we're discussing this, I'd like to say thanks to ALL the mods, new and old. I am fairly new to MR, but have been spending just enough time here to be able to tell that lots of folks put in good time helping keep the site working well. It is a GREAT resource to all users. Thanks. Your efforts are really, really appreciated.

PS, Silent Panda, its great to be able to call up the Panda Cam and watch you moderate--though I'd swear you were eating bamboo there just now ... :p

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's a new feature we're trying. People kind of want to know what it's like on the inside so hopefully this cam will give them a glimpse.

18. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I was a little curious, and didn't know where else to post this question for the mods.

Does it drive you as nuts as it does me to read the thread titles and notice the grammatical errors? If I were a mod, I would have to seriously restrain myself to keep from fixing them.

I'm sure you guys are probably too busy with real issues to mess with it, but it bugs the crap out of me.:D

19. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I do quite a bit of proofreading - mostly academic articles - so I can't help noticing grammar because it's become part of the way I read. And under ordinary circumstances, mistakes bug me.

But on this site, where a lot of people have languages other than English as their mother tongue, I don't let it bother me unless it's at the point where it actually interferes with what they're trying to say. And in those cases, someone who is interested in trying to help usually asks the poster to clarify, so it tends to work out.

And anyway, correcting spelling and grammar isn't why we have mods. :p

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then, maybe we need a new type of moderator - Grammar Police - that can only edit posts ... ;)

21. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I see your winking smiley, so I get that you're teasing a bit, but it brings up an interesting point. I do think that writing correctly is very important, especially when you're asking for help and need to be as specific as possible. But there are three problems with editing for spelling and grammar on a forum. The first is that you risk actually misunderstanding and changing something to be other than what the poster intended (like in cases where the language is REALLY bad, and open to misinterpretation). The second is that you risk scaring people away - people who aren't confident about the way they write, or who feel timid about writing in English. The third issue is that changing the way someone words something without being asked to is actually stepping over a line, in a way. The person's name is on the post, and it's important that what's there for all to see is that person's actual words.

/rambling thoughts from a proofreader

Ok, sorry, carry on....:eek:

22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

From my own personal view point this is the most important. If I was constantly berated for spelling/grammar mistakes I would not have stayed around. It can be quite belittling if you try your hardest and then someone posts just to highlight a mistake you made.

/rambling thoughts from a dyslexic

23. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Sometimes I post "out of form" just to see how the mods "fix" it. I'm lookin' at you annk. ;) :)
    (thanks bye-the-way, you know what for... ;))

Cheers to the new staff, this forum is a gem in a sea of FUD. :D

24. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I was teasing … it is in no way a wise move to do anything like that, for the reasons you mentioned.

On that note, I've only see someone get berated for their grammar when they come here and ask for help completely in txt speak.

25. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Y'all made some very good points, some that I had not thought of. I try not to pay too much attention, but when it's in the thread title and keeps coming up in the spy, it bugs me. Yes, my children roll their eyes at me quite a bit, but at least they will be able to communicate effectively when the time comes.:rolleyes::D