Credit where credit is due: the Droid Razr Maxx seems like an excellent phone.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I currently own an iPhone 4 which I'm very happy with. I'm eagerly looking forward to the iPhone 5 in six months, with a strong possibility of upgrading if it offers the hardware improvements I'm looking for.

In the meantime, I enjoy reading CNet and other sites about the latest in tech. I am an Apple fan, but I'm also a technology fan.

As such, I want to say well done to Motorola for building a very impressive phone in the Droid Razr Maxx. I especially like the battery life and the design & materials (scratch-resistant kevlar back).

I believe it's good for Apple to have strong competition. It continually pushes companies to bring out incredible products. And in the end, it's the costumers who win.
Pentile screen is horrible. It poisons every positive aspect of that phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
They bothered with both the iPad and iPhone.
There was plenty of competition before Apple entered the smartphone market. Some competitors are still with us, others not so much.

The iPad in many respects, draws from lessons from smartphones, PDAs, eBook readers and tablet PCs. There was a lot of prior work done before Apple stepped in.

Before the iPhone the closest phone to it was a Blackberry, which anyone who had one back then (myself included) can tell you it was hardly a user friendly device.
That doesn't mean the Blackberry didn't exist as competitor. Apple certainly innovated in the smartphone area. There's no argument against that. But I believe that they did what they did based on motivation from seeing what competitors did, and improving significantly on it.

As for the iPad, nothing yet came out like that before.
Plenty of other device makers tried before with that paradigm. In fact, the iPad is arguably Apple's second attempt at it.

Same goes for the iMac. Apple crammed a computer into a monitor when it was first released in a small, desirable form factor.
The all-in-one didn't create its own breakawat market though. The iMac is still a desktop. It just so happens to be a refresh on older Macs that had all-in-one architecture before the iMac existed... and those Macs, like the iMac, competed with PCs.

It doesn't have to always be original, but many of their ideas are very original.
They are original designs born of necessity. They looked at competitors and asked "how can we do this right/better?"

I'm not saying that Apple has had no original ideas. Quite the contrary. But many of those ideas are born off seeing what the competition has done wrong AND right, and through replacement of the wrong implementations with right ones, and enhancing the other already-right implementations with even better ideas.

Last edited:

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I still prefer two tin can's and a string. Works great, free unlimited minutes, shiny new can's, kite string works great even when wet, etc.
Limited by distance and background noises such as vacuum cleaners.
While the screen isn't even close to the iPhones, it doesn't shatter when dropped.
And replacement costs are as cheap as the next can of soup.

What? If anyone can come to the iPhone forum and bring up thread not about the iphone, I figured I'd do the same.

:) :D :p

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Before the iPhone the closest phone to it was a Blackberry, which anyone who had one back then (myself included) can tell you it was hardly a user friendly device.
Don't confuse your preference for everyone else's and don't try to extrapolate trends from a single data point.

I had several BB's back in the day and they were certainly user friendly.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Don't confuse your preference for everyone else's and don't try to extrapolate trends from a single data point.

I had several BB's back in the day and they were certainly user friendly.
I'm not. When almost all blackberry users in our company (2500+) ask to switch to an iPhone I think thats indicative that just more than me find Blackberries non-user friendly.

We actually have been phasing them out and we are far from the only company to do so.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I hear the screen on that phone is absolutely terrible. The perfect example of PenTile gone wrong.
My bro in law has one. If it ran iOS I'd trade in a heartbeat.

----------

I'm not. When almost all blackberry users in our company (2500+) ask to switch to an iPhone I think thats indicative that just more than me find Blackberries non-user friendly.

We actually have been phasing them out and we are far from the only company to do so.
I had the BB Tour I hated that crappy ball that somehow always got dirty and that tiny screen. I was so happy the day my 3 year old knocked my coffee all over it. Went and bought a Droid. :D

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
My bro in law has one. If it ran iOS I'd trade in a heartbeat.

----------

I had the BB Tour I hated that crappy ball that somehow always got dirty and that tiny screen. I was so happy the day my 3 year old knocked my coffee all over it. Went and bought a Droid. :D
Thats what employees where I work got the option to do. They could swap for an Android or an iPhone (only certain models of Android though since it has to run in house apps.). The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.