Crestron Control from your iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Red Sox, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Red Sox macrumors regular

http://www.crestron.com/press_room/press_releases/show_release.asp?press_release_id=1341

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Crestron, but they are going to be offering a FREE app through the app store very soon. This is very exciting news for those of you wanting to use your iPhone to control your home (or business) AV system (it can also control lighting, HVAC, etc..).

As a Crestron programmer, I can say that this is a pretty big deal. It's something I've been hoping they would release, and I'm happy that they did it so quickly.

2. onabudget macrumors newbie

Nice but for the casual reader you fail to mention that the Crestron controllers cost tons of money. There are already other similar application.

3. Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

Yes there are already other apps that allow you to do this but none of them are fully supported by Crestron (and they don't work very well). With the new App by Crestron, you can create the GUIs using Crestron's VT Pro-e software.

Tons of money? You can buy a Crestron Processor on eBay for less than the cost of an iPhone.

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Then it's not for you. Why should the OP have to warn anyone of the system's potential cost?

5. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I'm currently having a Crestron system installed in my home. Does it mean that if I download the program, once the system is in I can control it from my phone? Will in need special programming from my custom installer?

I'm not really sure how it would work b/c my system is not going to be controlled through wi-fi but rather through cat5e or serial.

6. Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

You would need to get your custom installer to create a custom user interface for your iphone. If you already have an existing system, this would be very easy to do (copy and paste buttons over to the new interface).

To connect it to your iPhone, all you would have to do is connect a wireless router or access point to the processor.

7. bcSwanson macrumors newbie

Red Sox, that is great! Do you know where I can get a copy of Crestron's VT Pro-e software?

8. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

@ bcSwanson--

Is there any particular reason you chose to bump a two-year-old thread?

9. bcSwanson macrumors newbie

Just hoping to find answers that I haven't been able to find anywhere else on the internet. It sounds like @Red Sox knows the answer.