Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Question about cricket or other MVNOs. With Androids, updates are pushed out by the carrier vs Apple who pushes their own updates out. That being said, if I took an AT&T Galaxy S6 to cricket how would I receive software updates? Would I ever be able to receive any updates at all?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Higher pings can be an issue. Are you getting more than 50 in ping times?

Wifi network at home ping times are less than 20. Lte with AT&T is usually less than 40-50 for me.

Ping times matter. The lower the better.
I don't have it, but I've looked into it a lot and have seen many others who have it. Pings are usually 100-200, but I've seen a few in the 50-75ms range, although that's rare. Most are around 100-150ms.

I have Verizon, and I usually get 50-75ms.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Not too happy with Cricket today... after being on LTE for 2 days, today I can't get LTE. my iPhone is stuck on 4G (HSPA). :(

Tell me this is not what I have to look forward to!

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
MMS natively work on Cricket?

Yep. never had to fiddle with any APN stuff, on android though you will.

----------

Question about cricket or other MVNOs. With Androids, updates are pushed out by the carrier vs Apple who pushes their own updates out. That being said, if I took an AT&T Galaxy S6 to cricket how would I receive software updates? Would I ever be able to receive any updates at all?

If you had an ATT branded phone I do believe you'll get the update when ATT releases it.

When the LG G2 got some update awhile back my BF got it when he was on Cricket. YMMV.

----------

Not too happy with Cricket today... after being on LTE for 2 days, today I can't get LTE. my iPhone is stuck on 4G (HSPA). :(

Tell me this is not what I have to look forward to!

Did you use up all of your data? Is your APN set up correctly?

----------

I don't have it, but I've looked into it a lot and have seen many others who have it. Pings are usually 100-200, but I've seen a few in the 50-75ms range, although that's rare. Most are around 100-150ms.

I have Verizon, and I usually get 50-75ms.

586bda35ff625dc387f139b96cb86454.jpg

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Figured I would post here instead of start another thread, but if there are any responses to me, quoting me would be great so that I get the alert.

Anyway, we are currently on TMO and mostly happy, however they just screwed up our pricing again, requiring a phone call (I won't go into the details but in the three years I have had TMO I have spent dozens of hours on the phone at this point). Looking at our options, cricket seems to have a 4 lines of unliited plan for $100. That's a savings of nearly $500 a year...

Right now my son uses the most data streaming, but TMO limits that to 480p anyway, and I poersonally think it is more than adequate. My question is the mbps throttle (for this plan its 3 for the other its 8). I think that will be generally sufficient, but I wanted to be sure before we pull the trigger. Is anyone on this plan experiencing issues? We already bought our sims since they were clearanced to $3 at Best buy (from my understanding the packaging changed and thats it) so I didn't want to wait.

We would miss out on a few minor tmobile perks such as being able to use our phones abroad with no additional cost, but that is so minor compared to savings that I amsuif it should even be a factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.